VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57 plate T5 shuttle, the front windows have been playing up for the past 6 weeks, working and then not, they have completely packed up now, the drivers side switches were working, the passenger side has never worked since i bought the van, but has never bothered me. I have had the door card off and all wires look intact, the other switches on control panel work fine ie c/locking and mirrors. Would this be more of a motor problem? or switch problem? thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had the same problem and tried everything.
In the end I searched under the drivers seat and not really knowing what I was doing checked the various cables visually and all seemed ok
In frustration I took hold and gave them a really good rattle, Hey Presto... The windows have worked perfectly since, and the same remedy worked for a friend of mine with the same problem.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Probably the switch guys its a common problem, they have a habbit of collectiing moisture when you open the door/window when its raining, its affects the contacts causeing them to be intermitant and then packing in all together, had mine changed a couple of times by VW under warranty on my own van, also had the same problem on my works caddy when I forgot to close the window fully over night and it rained. Easy job to change them and I think the parts are quite cheap. Hope this helps. Dave. T:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, have changed switches but still no joy and as the key in the lock doesn't work the windows either it looks like its off to the garage

·
Vendor
2,238 Posts
Hi guys
It is due to corrosion of the wires under the drivers seat under the rubber floor mat
Strip back the insulation tape around the wires that go to the box under the seat
You will see the wires have gone green and corroded, clean them up and reconnect the one thats broke
Hey presto everything should work fine
Common fault on the T5

·
Registered
93 Posts
i am in same boat here
mine stopped working when i had the front seat out
i have checked the wiring and it looks fine stripped back about 6 inch of tape but look ok
would it be a good idea to keep chasing the wiring back under seat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same issue here. Funny thing is that they started working after not working all winter. During the hot spell the sun has been beating against the drivers door and the windows started working and have worked for a few days and then stopped again. Am thinking its a fault in the drivers door????

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same problem with my van, worked some time then not another, went on like that form months then stopped altogether.

Would love to know how people solve this problem, I remember looking back on here last year and one thing suggested was the drivers door motor since it has a circuit board attaches to it which fails.

I'm not happy about buying a new motor just to see if it cures the problem!

Daz

·
Registered
93 Posts
i fitted a door motor to drivers side n hey presto windows working

then 5 mins later stopped again lol i have just changed the thermal fuse at side of steering column n tried a standard 1 just to test n there working again for how long i don't noRasp:Rasp:Rasp:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem, the windows work every time that I remove the connections or power, sure all switches and wiring sound. Suspect removing the power resets the controller unit in the drivers side motor and it starts working again for a bit. The plan tomorrow is to open up the drivers motor control board and look for faults. May need to buy a new one, but that's a last resort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rather infuriatingly, I followed the excellent advice of looking under the driver's seat, checking the cabling, cleaning the terminals, stripping back the insulation looking for oxidised wires, etc. Couldn't find anything! BUT..what I DID find was the spare (on my model it's spare) female block terminal to the "box" under the drivers seat was FULL of dust/hair/grit etc. Gave that a good suck out with a vacuum cleaner then a good dose of contact cleaner for good measure. I reckon there must have been some just detectable short going on between some of those pins (I checked the board inside, and they were all wired up to the PCB inside - not just blind pins) as my windows are now working again!

Hallelujah! (whatever that means) I'm having a great day, T5-wise; sorted my Engine Management/limp mode fault as well today after struggling for over a week!

Now all I've got to fix is that blasted heater control cable issue! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Belay the celebrations. Once I'd put it all back together, stopped working. WTF?! I'm thinking a broken wire beneath the driver's seat which gets flexed to work/not during refitting the seat etc. I'm checking it all out now. (Well, trying to!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belay the celebrations. Once I'd put it all back together, stopped working. WTF?! I'm thinking a broken wire beneath the driver's seat which gets flexed to work/not during refitting the seat etc. I'm checking it all out now. (Well, trying to!)

Hello there , Did you get your windows sorted in the end , what was the problem

1 - 20 of 26 Posts