VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we have a problem with a t5 transporter taxi we have in, when changing gear you can feel the engine mounts knocking, we have replaced all four engine mounts in october, but they still seem to have the same problem, has anyone come across this before or have any suggestions or do anywhere do uprated mounts?

·
Registered
736 Posts
If its a jerk /clonk your feeling then like me you replaced mounts but problem not cured then think you may have DMF problem

·
Registered
736 Posts
This sounds encouraging to me as it may not be my DMF, on yours is it a clonk/jerk that you are trying to cure felt more pulling away but also slightly changing gear if so your not alone i know of others, a lot of head scratching :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we can see the mounts knocking as the engine moves forward when engaging gear when "riding the clutch" with the handbrake on with the vehicle static, so we are pretty sure it is the mounts, could it be that the VW mounts are just pony? we have tried re-enforcing them with more rubber, and still no better!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Looks to me then the mounts are not the cause what were your driveshaft splines like when you took box out, i have not checked mine yet and agree with minimucks as should be checked

·
Registered
718 Posts
I was told that the knocking in mine was probably the bearings on top of the front springs - they're only about 12 quid each and fairly easy to change... Mine usually happens when I'm moving off and turning the wheel.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm interested to see if anyone has sorted this - when I'm doing 40 ish in traffic and accelerate I get a jerk/thump/knock via the steering wheel as if the mounts are worn and there's a twisting. However, that is the only time it happens - when I'm starting off there's no clunks/thumps, and if I accelerate at speeds above 55ish it doesn't happen. It's going back next week under (second hand dealer) warranty to be sorted (and for a couple of other problems) but I would appreciate any pointers so I can make sure they've checked out all possibilties. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If and when mine's sorted I'll post but it won't be for over a week coz I can't get to drop off the van until next saturday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All we can say is that we are 100% sure this is a weak mounting isolator issue. you can see the rear mount lifting and falling as the engine is twisting on its axis, due to kenetic forces applied when gears are engaged. It is definately not drive shaft, DMF or top suspension mount related! The only option I can give customer is to replace the mounts again, no labour. All I can think of at this time is this......the customer had the clutch (and supposedly the DMF) replaced elsewhere before we changed the mountings. He had nothing but trouble with the clucth after he had it replaced. We then repaced the mountings. The clutch then failed and he went back to the garage that fitted it. They said they could not afford to refund his money and that issue is subject to a court case. WE then replaced the clucth, DMF, tube, and hydraulic slave cylinder and he is happy with the clutch now. However, I am wondering if the issues he had with the first clutch (judder, snatching and difficult gear selection) caused the replaced mounts to fail prematurely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had had the same problem I had changed all the upper strut mounts still had a knocking. And thought it was the engine mount. But before I went to by the side mount I had a good look at the engine and gave the van a good bounce will on the floor and to my surprise it was the anti roll bar arms that where not tight enough and when they where fitted where not upper load. Meaning once the van was unjacked they where not tight

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi all i know u may think this may sound silly but im sure its the clutch pedal switch if u remove the lower dash trims around the pedal and un plug the clutch stitch and bridge the plug out with a small piece or wire and try it i think it will cure the clunking and baging faults u have.
Let me know how u go on.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 20 of 23 Posts