VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had major problems with my 2011 reg T5 T32 180 TDI having just got over 100,000 miles. The first symptom was the coolant system overpressuring and this gradually got worse.

After research on this forum I was fairly sure it was a blown head gasket, so booked it in to Heritage Van Centre in Westbury. To cut a long story short, they were in denial about the head gasket and eventually had the van for 6 weeks before diagnosing and fixing the head gasket. Since then I have had a blown turbo fixed by my local garage who felt this was due to the head gasket. Most recently, the van was using a litre of oil every 500 miles, the diesel particulate filter warning kept coming on, despite long runs on the motorway and finally the warning for the catalytic converter.

My local garage had a good long look at the van (I admit to being a bit vague about their diagnosis) and they felt that the sump was (distorted?) due to the overpressuring which had led to the oil level dropping and resulting in damage to (the pistons?). They felt that VW should have spotted this when they had the head off. The recommendation was to trade it in or get a replacement engine. I don't want to trade it in as this feels wrong and when I replace the van with a similar one, I could have the same problems over again.

I really love my van, but am at the end of my tether. Can anyone recommend a good reconditioned engine fitter or is there a simpler solution?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,551 Posts
It's a problem that's been covered here a lot. Here's an example thread:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=446408&highlight=cfca+problem

Apologies to your garage, but I don't believe their theory about overpressure causing the sump to distort, as there are other ways that the crankcase would vent before it would distort a metal sump. There are several theories about why the CFCA from 2010-2011 has issues, but the most likely (to me) is a slight size problem with the piston skirt which causes excessive bore wear.

If you search the forum you'll find plenty of info - do not use the internal forum search tool though - it's rubbish. Use Google with the search option "site:vwt4forum.co.uk".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, I'll look at those. I thought the sump explanation was odd.

Do you think VW should have spotted the excessive bore wear when they had the head off?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,551 Posts
You would think so - but perhaps they didn't want to see it.

But there have been other failures reported on that engine - for example corrosion in the EGR cooler causing internal coolant leakage? Anyway, have a read of the BiTDI engine threads and see what you reckon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I read up on this lots yesterday and it all fits with what I have. VW did check the EGR first and found the gasket need replacing. How easy is it to check if I have a C or D version of the EGR as the corrosion from this is alleged to cause the excessive bore wear. Looks like the cost for new engine etc is £7k, so I wonder if anyone can recommend a good reconditioned engine supplier and fitter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts