VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,, new here hoping some one can help.
Have a VW transporter / caravella T5 - 2006 it has recently started flashing glow plug light.
Have tried to scan with VCDS but always fails on CANBUS so have to manually select vehicle and clearing codes etc does not help or work.
So have a generic scanner which does mange to scan and clear codes but fault is still present so comes back.

Initially it was showing glow plug 3 circuit open, tried to replace this but same issue. however new codes are starting to come up one by one, and when driving some do disappear and then turn up again later. Could this be leading to a bigger issue?

I have attached 2 scan reports would appreciate if some one has had similar issue they could provide some pointers what it may be, or possible solutions or things to look at?

EDIT 16/06/2021 Added VCDS scan + Engine light is on + engine is 1.9 turbo diesel

Attachments

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
Have tried to scan with VCDS but always fails on CANBUS so have to manually select vehicle
It doesn't address your main question, but this at least is normal. On a pre-facelift you generally have to manually select the vehicle, and a scan takes longer because it has to try addresses that don't (on most vehicles) correspond to the modules actually present.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The exhaust gas sensor looks like it's died according to those reports too - that will cause the glow plug light to appear and continue to do so until it's repaired/replaced.
Check the wiring to it first for any visible signs of damage (check with a multimeter for continuity if you can), replacement is pretty straight forward. I'm not sure with the '06 and you don't say which engine you have 1.9 or 2.5 but I think they both have 4 sensors throughout the exhaust system. Once you've replaced the sensor (if it's at fault), then you'll need to clear the codes.
That should clear the pending codes too (these are temporary faults that the ECU has recognised but they haven't met the reoccurance threshold to be logged as a permanent fault yet).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't address your main question, but this at least is normal. On a pre-facelift you generally have to manually select the vehicle, and a scan takes longer because it has to try addresses that don't (on most vehicles) correspond to the modules actually present.
I have scanned 2004/5 models Skoda etc which have canbus. and this is 2006 and top of the range with all extras so thought it should have canbus. but thanks for reply

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The exhaust gas sensor looks like it's died according to those reports too - that will cause the glow plug light to appear and continue to do so until it's repaired/replaced.
Check the wiring to it first for any visible signs of damage (check with a multimeter for continuity if you can), replacement is pretty straight forward. I'm not sure with the '06 and you don't say which engine you have 1.9 or 2.5 but I think they both have 4 sensors throughout the exhaust system. Once you've replaced the sensor (if it's at fault), then you'll need to clear the codes.
That should clear the pending codes too (these are temporary faults that the ECU has recognised but they haven't met the reoccurance threshold to be logged as a permanent fault yet).
Hi thanks for reply,
It is 1.9 turbo diesel, how can i know out of 4 which sensor it may be? would it be accessible from engine at top? or would it be further down (i.e. having to lift the vehicle)

If it helps i have also attached a VCDS report which probably provides some more info.
I have changed the Glow plug however it is still coming up as Open circuit on the scans..

·
Special Rapporteur
10,152 Posts
this is 2006 and top of the range with all extras so thought it should have canbus.
I never said that it didn't have CANbus. All T5's are equipped with CANbus.

But the nature of the diagnostic connection is different on a pre-facelift than on a facelift, and that's why you have to manually select the vehicle by chassis code.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'd be looking for wiring faults, it's unlikely 4 items on the engine would all fail at the same time, and as you have changed the glow plug with no change, this would point even stronger to wiring faults.
Look for a common broken ground wire, and for chafed wires in the conduits etc...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'm not overly familiar with the 1.9 but the sensors are in line along the exhaust - so sensor 1 (which is what's flagged up on yours) is on the exhaust manifold on the back of the engine, should be accessible from under the bonnet.
All 4 sensor plugs are usually sited directly above the EGR on the bulkhead (beige / black sockets - each with 2 wires to them) so just trace the wire back.
You can unplug it and scan the engine and it should come up with implausible signal or similar - that will show you that you've unplugged the correct one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never said that it didn't have CANbus. All T5's are equipped with CANbus.

But the nature of the diagnostic connection is different on a pre-facelift than on a facelift, and that's why you have to manually select the vehicle by chassis code.
Thanks for the clarification, would this also be the reason why i can not manually select modules under "select control module" for example clicking on engine it does not allow me to open this module. however after choosing chassis code and autoscan it scans the modules.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not overly familiar with the 1.9 but the sensors are in line along the exhaust - so sensor 1 (which is what's flagged up on yours) is on the exhaust manifold on the back of the engine, should be accessible from under the bonnet.
All 4 sensor plugs are usually sited directly above the EGR on the bulkhead (beige / black sockets - each with 2 wires to them) so just trace the wire back.
You can unplug it and scan the engine and it should come up with implausible signal or similar - that will show you that you've unplugged the correct one!
I'd be looking for wiring faults, it's unlikely 4 items on the engine would all fail at the same time, and as you have changed the glow plug with no change, this would point even stronger to wiring faults.
Look for a common broken ground wire, and for chafed wires in the conduits etc...
Thanks for the reply, replacing the first exhaust sensor fixed most of the issues. the only issue left now is back to glow plug which is still flashing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts