VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 2006 / early 2007 T5 Shuttle that has electric and heated mirrors. I wanted to fit 5.1 folding, heated electric mirrors, so I have purchased a pair along with the switch.

Not being lazy I've searched the forum and Google, read the posts and found this one really useful http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=236725

I've fitted the passenger side and one thing I'm still unclear on is how I get them to fold using the original switch. I understand the Audi relay route, but wanted to stick to the VW method. Incidentally I have rewired it so it adjusts correctly.

So my first question is if I had folding mirrors originally fitted to my T5 would the T5.1 folding mirrors just be a plug and play and fold?

If so do I just need to order a pair of T5 electric window motors that allow the mirrors to fold or should I go for 5.1? If this is the correct route does anyone know a part number and price.

There appears to be a post about some additional wiring required also but it appears a bit vague.
It mentions the motors required for a T5.1 are 801c and 802c but nothing for folding mirrors from a T5 to T5.1

Also 2 wires for the passenger side from mirror to motor and 3 for the drivers but what are these wires and where do they go, as in terminals etc.

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere but I've been unable to find it that spells it out quite like this.

Thanks in advance.

Si.

·
Registered
540 Posts
The problem you have is VW Completely changed the way the windows/mirrors were wires around 06/07

upto 06/07 you have to change the window motor - window motor controls the mirror and thats why you need a motor (looks like they used CAN BUS for data connection on the window motor)

after 06/07 VW used the 361 relay to control the mirrors (When over to LIN BUS for data connection on the window motor)

As a quick rule of thumbs (Doesn't work for them all) if your van came with a RCD200 radio yours is the 06/07 onwards.

·
Registered
945 Posts
tobes is right. Your van is from a year where critical changes were made. I usually look at the steering wheel and your heater direction dial. Can you post pics of these?

The early ones went all the way around, whilst the new, improved ones, went only from 3 o clock til 12, then back again.

If your T5 van had folding mirrors from factory, T5.1 mirrors should be plug and play. I´ve tested this on my 2009 van, so can confirm it.

What year are your T5.1 mirrors from? The additional wiring can be from the antenna as they moved it into the mirror on the later ones (I recall post 2012, if I´m not wrong, along with the new rear bumper).

I`ve done a fair bit of research on this, let me know if you need anything else..

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for the replies.

A friend of mine has a T5 Shuttle of the same age that has folding mirrors so using his registration I called VW and asked what window motor was the correct one for it. They provided the part number and it's the same part number as my window motor 6Y1959801, so I am thinking mine must be the later. Does that sound right?

The T5.1 mirrors are new and have the additional wiring for the antenna.

As for the other clues as to the age of mine, well I changed the original steering for a leather Caravelle one and have since sold the original but the heater direction does go all the way round.

The stereo was not the original when I purchased the van however the manual for the stereo is for the RCD200.

So I think I need to go down the 361 relay route and use the following wiring guide:

You only need to add the 361 relay and wire it to the mirror switch like:

Pin
4 = Fused power feed in (ignition feed as per VW wiring)
6 = Earth
5 = Mirror - fold motor (red/black or red/white if they fold the wrong way these need to be reversed)
8 = Mirror - fold motor (red/black or red/white if they fold the wrong way these need to be reversed)
14 = Closed contact (this is missing fro the facelift mirrors - ask mr matty, but guessing it left unconnected)
12 = Pin 8 on mirror switch

Many thanks,

Si.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts