VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I could use a bit of assistance identifying headlight wire colours on my 2004 T5.

I replaced my single lamp Transporter units with twin lamp Caravelle lamp units today, and my solution for the wiring (to enable dipped to remain on when using high beam) was to use Xtreme Van's uprated wiring kit: http://www.xtremevan.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5292 (I also fancy the advantages of increased voltage at the lights to further boost light output).

However, the wire colours mentioned in Xtreme's instructions don’t match up with the wire colours currently in the van, and the plug in the photos in the instructions doesn’t look like the ones in my van either. Hence I don’t know what wires to connect to which.

Xtreme's instructions state: "cut the blue (low beam power), red (high beam power), white (drl power wire) and the two black wires (earth for the headlight dishes, these wires are to be connected to the black wires in the upgrade kit)." I don't have a blue or red wire...

The uprated wiring harness looks like this:

034 by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

The existing wire colours going into the plug into the headlamps are as follows (I’ve checked on the forum and these match other’s vans):

Passenger side
1 yellow/grey stripe
2 empty
3 brown
4 brown
5 red/blue stripe
6 black/white stripe
7 yellow/black stripe
8 brown
9 white/ black stripe
10 grey/black stripe

Driver’s side
1 yellow/grey stripe
2 empty
3 brown
4 brown
5 red blue stripe
6 black/green stripe
7 yellow
8 brown
9 white
10 grey/red stripe

But the upgrade kit has (for each light unit):
1 x white
1 x white/black stripe
1 x red
1 x blue
2 x black
1 x blue/black stripe
1 x red/black stripe

So I really have no f*****g idea what's to be connected to what. I've e-mailed Jay at Xtreme vans for assistance but I really need to get this sorted out tonight if possible, if not first thing tomorrow.

Photos of my plugs/wiring:

032 by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

030 by Ally Mitchell, on Flickr

Many thanks,
Ally

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh a side note, my twin-lamp Caravelle units went on easily (well, as easily as it is to remove and refit the bumper) and look braw:)

·
Super Moderator
9,246 Posts
Can be done under steering column...ill pm a how to later for you when I get off this phone T:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts