VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just finished fitting a T5 intercooler into my T4.
Cost
Intercooler £60 (prices seem to have gone up on ebay)
VW Mk 3 Golf 1.9 TD Intercooler pipes £10
2 x Silicon 60-50 mm reducers to connect to intercooler £15

I followed this guide http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31527&highlight=intercooler but the pipes I used were different even though they were also from a Mk3 TD 1.9 Golf.
Fitting was pretty much straightforward, bit of head scratching and cut and shutting the pipes. Fits nicely behind the grille aswell.
EGR has been removed and blanked off aswell, also rotated the oil filler for slightly more clearance, and boost gauge fitted in the door where the window switches usually go.

Have done the boost and fuel mods aswell, running 1.1 bar on full chat:cool:

Still got room to up the fuelling a bit more but going to run it for a while first see how the fuel consumption is. Wouldn't say there is much difference low down in the rev range (ie pulling out of junctions) but alot faster higher up, pulls well in 4/5th gear on the motorwaysT:

Jay

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
Good work fella, looks really neat. You just need the AAZ pump and the GTD boost pin now to complete the job so you get full boost and the associated torque from low down the rev range. Just had mine done and the idle sits normal, the economy is better with less boost when rolling. It really does surprise people off the lights now :D

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, still abit unsure about the pump swap, don't really know exactly what I need:confused: Can I just do a straight swap with AAZ pump? I'm a bit dissapointed with the performance to be honest. Boost seems to rise with revs wheras on my previous turbo cars they would make full boost @ 2500 rpm and hold it all the way to the redline, I only get full boost on the T4 when the engine is at or near max revs:confused::confused:

Any ideas?

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
The body of the pump is basicly the same as the abl pump but some mods might be necessary, its a lot easier if you can get the mounting bracket with it then its just one off one on!

As for the performance Its just the way it is! All proper turbo diesel cars have some kind of boost enrichment and the abl pump doesn't. You need to look out for the full mechanical AAZ pump from the earlier engine with manual timing advance but i will warn you now they are hard to come by so its worth keeping a lookout. You could use the mk2 golf 1.6 gtd pump but its worth getting the gtd injectors as well to complete the setup

Heres the pump you should be looking for, this one is mine as purchased from ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330336178177&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Note the idle adjust screw, the bolt holes are slotted for adjusting the timing.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will keep an eye out..........may take a trip round the scrappys, may be lucky

Is there any way I can mod my current pump? What does that involve?

Jay

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, will keep an eye out..........may take a trip round the scrappys, may be lucky

Is there any way I can mod my current pump? What does that involve?

Jay
Just to add I've read Rixy's technicle atricle but not 100% sure about what parts/pumps to use, he mentions a few different ones

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did think of that but to be honest I don't know enough about diesels to build a pump myself , quite happy to do a straight swap or follow a step by step guide. Will do some more research

·
Registered
250 Posts
Is it 100% necessary to move the Power Steering Cooling pipe from its original place??

Thought I had seen a pic of someone who had left it in place??
Got me a T5 IC, just need to source some pipework so I can get on with fitting it.

By the way, what size holes need to be cut into the slam panel for the IC pipes to fit through?? I guess you cut the ends off the IC pipes too??

I got a hole saw but its only 51mm I think... :( Guess I will have to 'adjust' with a file if bigger..

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it 100% necessary to move the Power Steering Cooling pipe from its original place??

Thought I had seen a pic of someone who had left it in place??
Got me a T5 IC, just need to source some pipework so I can get on with fitting it.

By the way, what size holes need to be cut into the slam panel for the IC pipes to fit through?? I guess you cut the ends off the IC pipes too??

I got a hole saw but its only 51mm I think... :( Guess I will have to 'adjust' with a file if bigger..
Fisrt off, original thread is here, big thanks to golfgtioz for the writeupT:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31527&highlight=intercooler

Yes you will need to move the pipe, although at the end of the day it is just a bit of pipe so maybe you coukd fabricate a new one to fit better? I notched out the slam panel so the the pipe fits flush against it.

The pic you are maybe thinking of is the one below where the pipe sits in front of the intercooler - if you leave it like this the grille won't fit.

Cut the end of the pipes like this, be carful not to get any **** in the intercooler

I used a hacksaw to cut the front panel, cut it like the pic below, do the same the other side. I wouldn't bother with a hole cutter, if you cut it like the pic then it makes it easier to make the pipework as you have a bit of room to play with, if you use a hole cutter you will have to make the pipes fit exactly.

The outside diameter of the IC pipes are 2 and quarter inches (65mm?) plus the pipe and the hose clip so you better have a ggod file if you still wnat to use the hole cutterI:

·
Registered
46 Posts
looks sweet

What boost gauge are you running? Have you fitted an inline filter as a buffer?

What is the blue hose for? Is that a controller?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Running an autometer boost gauge, £15 from ebay....fitted it in the door panel:cool:

The blue hose is for the boost controller. I had one lying around from years ago so thought I'd use it rather than faff about with the actuator....makes adjusting the boost very easy, just open the bonnet and screw it in or outT:

Haven't fitted an inline filter, I've seen them fitted to stop the needle bouncing but doesn't bother me, only moves a tiny bit and only at idle

Jay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts