VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to take the rear wheel off my T5 today, and noticed a ball bearing dropping from the winding mechanism of jack that came supplied with T5, immediately stopping to realise the cast holding the screw to the underside of the plate had fractured. Luckily still had the wheel in place so quickly wound the jack back down! My lucky day! Has anyone else had failure of this nature?

I spoke with local dealership who said they hadn't experienced any other complaints. Note van is a 2008 model, and wasn't laden at time and ive only used the jack twice. Replacement needed £60 from VW, any ideas where I can obtain replacement, or a better alternative?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Been a fair amount of jack failures (do a forum search for more details).

Some members use a bottle jack, others (including myself) use a small trolly jack - often available for around £25 when Lidl/Aldi have promotions on.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I will second that.... vw one a death trap...

·
Special Rapporteur
10,144 Posts
others (including myself) use a small trolly jack - often available for around £25 when Lidl/Aldi have promotions on.
By coincidence Aldi have them in this week - a fully certified 2 tonne trolley jack for £24.99, and plenty in stock at my local branch.

I haven't quite got the space for a trolley jack, but unfortunately it's very hard to find a bottle jack that goes low enough for those with 16" wheels and also goes high enough to get the wheel off (I've looked at lots now - none will fit).

So I'm stuck with the VW "death trap" for now...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would contact vw with evidence of failure of you jack and concret evidence of other failures.
vw jack not fit for purpose.if they blame age then they should give them a shelf life!

OLD GUYS RULEI:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate your feedback and will go have a look at Aldi this weekend..meanwhile I have emailed VW so will left you know their response

·
Registered
436 Posts
Just experienced my 1st use of T5 jack last nite lowered 40mm with side bars and the jack fowls the bar, had to lift it half up then reposition it , and cant see it being any use when i put the coil overs on in a couple of weeks.
Im all ready thinkin bottle jack and make a saddle to fit oe jack point and maybe a fiamma leveling chock to drive over to give some ground clearance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two weeks after posting to VW through Twitter, initially an immediate response was handed over to VW commercial customer service ..they have since been extremely poor at replying with promises to respond .. have chased three times. They are now in the process of having there safety engineers look at the problem after being totally unaware of failure issues of this jack! Very slack...meanwhile endangering other users!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts