VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just paid for the permit to dump our household waste using a van 12 times a year at my local council tip.

Got to my local council tip this morning and when one of the blokes working there saw I have side windows and seats in the back as I was showing the permit he said that my van is officially a people carrier . No van permit needed !

The government say its a commercial vehicle , HMRC say its a car , V5 says diesel car.

Anyone know what's what with this ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up a LHD German Caravelle, its fully windowed has the brackets for seats but no seats, down on the log book as a 'Diesel Car / MPV'. I'm going to keep a copy of the log book with me for tip runs as its a private car in my eyes and the DVLA, not a panel van and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay extra for something I already pay for in my council tax!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe the HMRC definition of a car is a vehicle whose main purpose is carrying passengers, but which can't carry 12 of more people and which was designed to have windows in the rear.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our local tip defines a van as anything over 2M high - therefore a Caddy or Berlingo isn't a van, but most MPV's are vans :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the HMRC definition of a car is a vehicle whose main purpose is carrying passengers, but which can't carry 12 of more people and which was designed to have windows in the rear.
I found a write up online where someone took HMRC to court and lost , he said it was a van and they said it was a car. It was judged that a Transporter Kombi is a car and not a commercial vehicle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We came up against this a little while ago. For council tip states, they don't mind whether it's designated as a van or a large car/minibus, the permit was only to say that we're using a large vehicle for household waste. We did register our van for a permit but didn't have to pay anything to register it. You're allowed 6 trips to the tip a year in the vehicle.

The rules state (according to my local council), a large car / people carrier with seats in doesn't need a permit but with seats out, it needs a permit. So we just got one to avoid being rejected at our local tip. The guy's actually let us the first time and then informed us of the rules, I had the seats out but they could see it usually had seats in.

Edit: I should state my van is registered as M1 (Pass Car) but doesn't change anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts