VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SWB T5 kombi with a triple folding seat in the rear and want to use the van for the odd camping trip etc .
I've seen a few members have built up a metal box section frame to fit in the rear of the van and then put a board over of the top.

Does anybody have any plans for these as a mate have offered to weld me something up

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
855 Posts
hi mate this is mine

aint got any plans tho mate, mines a lwb shuttle btw
if i can help in anyway id be glad to ,or alternatively come and have a look and bring ya tape measure

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hi,
I'm just putting the finishing touches on my kombi surf trip bed.

I have had made a lightweight box out of aluminium section which will be topped with carpeted ply.
It will be easy to fit/remove on my own, as the kombi has to earn its living for my work.
It sits behind the double seat section that folds forward and then bolts down using the offside lashing points.
The front section of carpeted ply will remain fitted to the back of the double seat and will meet up with the rear when the seat is hinged forward.

It is only as wide as the double seat.
I have left the gap behind the single section empty for a few of reasons;
1/ The full width bed looks very high to get into. I will be able to swing my legs off the bed onto the floor level.
2/ If I remove the single seat it becomes 'walk though' to the rear (especially useful when the rear double is still in the upright position).
3/ I don't want lots of "difficult to access" space under the platform. The space under the ali box is the perfect size to slide my surfboards under, as it lines up with the space under the double seat.
4/ It only needs to sleep one as my wife only comes on surf trips that involve luxury apartments.

I am of for a surf trip after work Saterday but i hope to finish it next week and i'll get some pictures up.

Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys these both look like great ideas if I can get up to Nottingham I will Nelly,

Sandy Tim yes please post some pics please

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi
I also have a triple seat in the rear so i have built a removable frame and boards which I carry in pieces and put together when ready to sleep only takes 5 mins .first frame is screwed to the lashing points behind the front seats and the 2nd frame is free standing with 4 suports resting on top all held firm by the 2 boards .This gives a full width bed .I have slept many times on this and it does not move at all .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dinooscar that's exactly what I'm after . Would you be able to give me some more pointer / plans etc happy to pay for your efforts .
It's hit the nail on the head sPot on

·
Registered
359 Posts
The problem I found that most kombi vans have the 2 seat, single seat arrangement and are fixed to the row behind the drivers seat .Well I wanted the seats in the rear of the van so leaving more space for "living"but the van is also my only vechile so did not want to carry untested rock and roll bed around and units down one side as per norm .Now there are kombi platform beds on the market that fix to the lashing points BUT I could not find any that fix over a rear mounted triple seat in a swb van .
All the bed is 2 "h" shaped frames made from box section steel with angle iron brackets welded to each to support 4 cross members which just rest on the brackets .Only the frame behind the drivers seat is fixed to the lashing points once you fit the 2 boards over the frame only then does the bed become strong it is the boards which are cut quiet tight to the van which stop the whole lot moving .We sleep myself the other half and my 6 year old across the bed as it is full width .I also have the front double seat which swivels and I use this part for my head shoulders but you dont have too as it is long enough .I just used 3" high density foam for the mattress which is in 3 parts .These lay on the 2 boards and also over the top of the folded rear seat .
You have to take the bed apart if you want to drive away or use the van for living but when away we usually use a awning so all cooking and living is done there but it only take 5 mins (2 bolts )and you then need to pack it away evey time, I carry it all in the boot behind the rear triple or leave in the awning if we go out for the day.If you want the dimensions etc or more pics just let me know if you can weld and cut plywood then its easyT:T: to make .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Dinooscar I'm looking to place it over my triple rear seats that are situated behind my front 2 seats . If you could give me the dimensions etc I can get a mate to weld it up for me .

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
359 Posts
Is your triple seat directly behind your front seats like a car would be ??.Mine is NOT the usual kombi setup ,mine is in the rear most I therefore have little space about 0.5m between the back of the triple seat and the tailgate therefore the frame fits between the back of the drivers/passenger seats and the front of the folded triple seat .If yours is the same then the bed would be the same and the frame would fit .I will need to measure what I have done but can sort you out some dimensions tomorrow no problem.You say you want to put it over your triple seat do you mean the frame if so I dont think our set ups are the same ?Have you looked at the exploria platform bed because I think you might have this sort of setup ?But the frame idea i have made would still work but not to the same dimensions :*:*

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Liking the look of yours nellyT: where abouts in Notts are? I wouldn't mind a look;) I'm at strelley. I use my van for work and I'm thinking of doing a bed come tool boxes!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is your triple seat directly behind your front seats like a car would be ??.Mine is NOT the usual kombi setup ,mine is in the rear most I therefore have little space about 0.5m between the back of the triple seat and the tailgate therefore the frame fits between the back of the drivers/passenger seats and the front of the folded triple seat .If yours is the same then the bed would be the same and the frame would fit .I will need to measure what I have done but can sort you out some dimensions tomorrow no problem.You say you want to put it over your triple seat do you mean the frame if so I dont think our set ups are the same ?Have you looked at the exploria platform bed because I think you might have this sort of setup ?But the frame idea i have made would still work but not to the same dimensions :*:*
Yes my seats are behind the drivers seat . The plan was to put the frame in the rear of the van using the triple as part of the bed by putting a bed over it . So yours won't fit :( . I guess ill have to measure up and use your idea as a rough template

·
Registered
855 Posts
snakeknotshaun, im in hucknall, my in-laws are from strelley , near the social club, ive seen a nice dark blue t4 velle around there and a kermit green t4 too , yeah come over mate ,pm sent

1 - 12 of 12 Posts