VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! Recently bought a 2011 T5 swab van. The rims are land rover rims fitted with 255/55R18. I call it the monster truck as so high! Problem I have is over any small bump the tyres catch the wheel arches and on full lock the tyres rub something underneath causing a grating sound. There is only a cm or 2 clearance between rear arch and tyres. My question is can I get away with fitting 255/45 or 255/40 tyres to rims to stop them rubbing the wheels arches. Spoke to a guy in work and he baffled me by saying tyres also sound to wide and can get away with skinnier tyres, but check the rims as they have a letter stamped on them. Any advice will be great. Cheers All:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Standard tyre sizes on 18 inch wheels is either 235/50 or 255/45 if you need a higher load rating. I expect the tyres you have were the ones that were fitted to the Land Rover and swapped straight across and are quite different in their rolling radius. You may find your wheels have a different offset to VW 18's aswell which will give you rubbing problems too. Sportline wheels are (I believe ) 18 x 8 with a 53mm offset. Yours should be stamped on the inner face somewhere. When you find the sizes/offset put them into a offset calculator such as http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...ct2=45&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8&offset2=53
to see the difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts