VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We have just sold our old Bay Window camper to buy a T5 so were new to this site. I have been for some quotes to get it converted an WOW!!!! It would have been less expensive to keep the bay lol. I am told that I can save money by carpet lining the van myself as people are charging £500+ for this. Im sorry if this subject has been done to death in these forums before but, would anybody have any instructions on how to go about doing this? Covering the cards sounds easy enough but what about around the side windows I'm having fitted and wheel arches etc? Has anyone done this and taken pics / vids of the work?

Any help would be great thanks.

Regards,

Russ

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Mat, thats really helpfull. Your lining looks very neat A:
Im hoping mine will too.

Regards,

Russ

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
megavan mats or something like that does carpet and glue that has a really good rep on here, pliable and easy to work with

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi rhinochaser

Thanks for that. I see that a lot of peeps on here are saying good things about them and the products. Im sure they are great it my ability to fit it all i'm a bit concerned with lol. Im sure i will be ok with the side cards (ply) but im a bit worried about what to do around the windows.

Regards,

Russ

·
Registered
329 Posts
Tagging onto the end of this thread..
im looking to ply line my van - dont spose you know rought how much ply you used do you?
does it matter what grade ply you use ?
cheers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Despite a disastrous history with DIY (despite being a mech engineer), I got stuck in and plylined/carpeted myself. You'll be fine.

My tips..

1. Stop and think exactly how you want to tackle it. I decided to put up two panels on the drivers side, one on the pass side rear, and cover the existing cards on the tail gate and slider. I also insulated/flashbanded behind all of these and flashbanded and carpeted the wheel arches and carpeted the central pillars. I chose not to do the rear pillars, the rear door surround or the frame of the slider. The end result looks neat, but wasn't as daunting as doing the whole thing.

2. Get carpet from Megavanmats. They will tell you how much you need, sell you the right glue and send you some useful instructions. They also sell longer plastic fixings for the tailgate and slider panel. You need to cut/drill a small starter hole to push them through the carpet, but they look neat once fitted.

3. Buy some 6mm ply and scrounge some cardboard boxes to make templates.

4. Have a beer and revisit (1).

5. Make some templates, then markup and cut your ply, sand and shape it to fit. The original cards make good templates, but you need to get the fit right. This took me quite a bit of time - it turns out that just because you buy a jigsaw with a laser sight, it doesn't automatically mean you can cut a straight line.. I:

6. Cut your carpet to fit roughly and DOUBLE CHECK which side of each panel you need to glue it to... It's a bit of an if you it up, trust me.

7. Have another beer and decide how you want to fix the ply. I didn't want to put self-tappers into the metalwork (though most people are happy to) so I stuck 8mm rawlplugs (some cut down) into the existing holes in the pillars/framing. I then marked their position carefully with tags of masking tape.

8. Lift your floor (if you can), then warm your carpet up and do the wheel arches. This bit worried me, but actually it was quite easy and they look ace with the flutes showing through. Just stick the middle on first and work out, stretching and pushing the carpet into the flutes with a blunt object. I did the pillars separately and joined the carpet just above the arch. To do this just leave an overlap and then glue down both bits of carpet with the spare from both coming out towards you. Pinch together where they meet and you can then trim with sharp scissors and press the join down. My joins are invisible using this method. Get decent scissors though, and expect them to be blunt when you're done. I used about 3 stanley knife blades too..

9. I then screwed a horizontal baton (just a scrap of 6mm ply) at half height for each panel. This had the advantage that I could offer up the carpeted panel, bend it into shape with my head, and then just bang a few screws straight through the carpeted board into each baton. This held the panels in place, and bent to fit while I worked my way round the outside popping screws through into the rawlplugs. Despite the tape tags, I still couldn't locate every hole blind, but you can miss out a few with no real problems.

10. ....er....that's it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Just in the process of putting the finishing touches to carpeting the back of my van, and for my two pennies worth, I would also add:

1/ Use exterior grade ply.

2/ Cut it about 3-4 mm smaller than your original panels to allow for the thickness of the carpet - I didn't do this but can see the advantages.

3/ Prime the bare wood with primer to help the glue adhere, although there are mixed opinions about this, I have spoken to people who didn't in the past and their carpet has lifted in places on their panels (bubbled'ish). For the sake of a £5 pot of primer and a brush it seems a bit daft to not do it, just in case.

4/ If it's going to be a camper conversion with furniture and a bed you van "Box clever" and work out where you can strategically place joins in the carpet that will be hidden by fixed things like the wardrobe, bed etc. This means you can work with smaller pieces of carpet which will make things a whole lot easier.

5/ I have used at least a dozen Stanley blades as they blunt really easily so make sure you have plenty to hand, also try and have a couple of Stanly knives as well so you minimise the time changing blades mid- operation.

6/ When carpeting around windows either be very precise or consider obtaining some window trims which one of the converters is now selling on Ebay so you don't have to be very careful and any mistakes are hidden
Check it out on eBay!

Cheers Glitch

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
please excuse my total stupidity but why cant you cover the existing vw panels the van is supplied with ?
You can but (there's aways a but!), I wouldn't recommend sleeping/cooking in the van or trying to fix anything to the side panels i.e. furniture, speakers, electrical things like sockets or RCB's etc.

The first reason because you give off a lot of water vapour as you breath out and the kettle ...well that's obvious and if the water vapour soaks into hardboard you get soggy hardboard...not a nice look.

And the second reason : as the VW OEM panels are made of hardboard they have no real strength, so the moment anything fastened to them comes under any kind of physical force then it's going to pull away screws and all, leaving a few very nasty looking ragged looking holes, and have you every tried to fill holes in hardboards, next to impossible.

But if you just want a nice looking inside of the van then yep go right ahead and carpet your heart out.T:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
thanks i am learning all the time !!
Yep me too six months or so back, now I'm helping others just like others helped me...pure Karma (Q joss sticks and soothing whale sounds) I:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts