VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I have had an issue with the passenger door lock. A few weeks ago it deadlocked and wouldn’t open, anyway looked under the drivers seat no issues with wiring, so went down the route of dismantling the passenger door with the door locked, not fun!
I have managed to get the door open and the new lock fitted but on testing replacement lock it will lock but not unlock again.
Strange I thought so I happened to just look down the blue electrical connector and noticed the numbered connectors are different, original is 1 top left to 8 bottom right and replacement is 8 top left to 1 bottom right.
The original lock is from a early 2004 and replacement part from late 2007.
I’ve been assured by part supplier that they are all the same, is this right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
is your replacement lock a genuine vw part or a **** cheap one off ebay.
i have just replaced my lock actuator on my 2005 t5 caravelle pass side front today
i to went down the flea bay cheapo route bought 2 locks and both were different than the original so didn't
fit them. read to many horror stories on here about deadlocked doors.
so bit the bullit and bought a vw one not cheap at £190 but only want to do this job once
as its a real pain in the ar... did not want my door to deadlock and not open .
the more i read about the pattern parts sending the central locking hay wire the more i thought vw original
is the way to go this time.
did you set the preload spring on the lock before fitting the lock? the spring has to go in the outer arm (the arm with the little cable attached) it regulates the distance of travel of the outer handle
hope this info is of some help

·
Registered
322 Posts
check the comfort control module under the drivers seat for signs of corrosion, inside and outside - it gets damp under there due to condensation forming on the sheet metal underside of the seat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies.
Just received another replacement from a breakers. Came off of a 2004 T5, same part numbers identical in every way apart from the bloody numbered pins in the blue plug are again the wrong way round.
Finger Cable Electrical wiring Networking cables Gas

Dvi cable Automotive lighting Finger Electronic component Gadget

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Luggage and bags
Finger Cable Electrical wiring Networking cables Gas
Dvi cable Automotive lighting Finger Electronic component Gadget
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Luggage and bags

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,510 Posts
I think that as long as the part numbers exactly match the original the lock it should work irrespective of the different numbers stamped inside the plug. People sometimes miss the splice you mention that causes the common fault. Are you certain you have found it? There are good pics here and elsewhere. If you didn't take the seat out you probably missed it. It is possible to get at with the seat in place but it's a struggle.

As Plateletboy says, unplug the conv module and check for any corrosion on the pins. It's worth a check for any codes using VCDS or similar diagnostics.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The door actuators are common across many VAG models, so if the part #s match and they have the same number of pins (8 or 6 I think) it should work. Unless the one from the breakers is dodgy...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve now spoken to VW parts and they assure me that if the part numbers match the parts are the same and there wouldn’t be a variation in numbers in the pin positions.
Interestingly I have checked the numbers on the wiring loom connector and they match positions with the actuator that was supplied
by the breakers but not with the original broken actuator.
VW have said it could be a possibility that a unscrupulous garage have replaced this part previously and bought a cheap copy part and swapped over the original green casing and passed it off as a genuine VW part and changed the wiring to suit.
This may explain why the last section of cables isn’t covered with the fabric type tape stuff and black electric tape has been used.
Apparently they do come across this now and then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
is your replacement lock a genuine vw part or a **** cheap one off ebay.
i have just replaced my lock actuator on my 2005 t5 caravelle pass side front today
i to went down the flea bay cheapo route bought 2 locks and both were different than the original so didn't
fit them. read to many horror stories on here about deadlocked doors.
so bit the bullit and bought a vw one not cheap at £190 but only want to do this job once
as its a real pain in the ar... did not want my door to deadlock and not open .
the more i read about the pattern parts sending the central locking hay wire the more i thought vw original
is the way to go this time.
did you set the preload spring on the lock before fitting the lock? the spring has to go in the outer arm (the arm with the little cable attached) it regulates the distance of travel of the outer handle
hope this info is of some help
Hey, i could be wrong,but i do not think that spring goes on the outside pull handle arm,just took mine out today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts