VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched here and no one has put up a full list of what they did so after a long weekend with a few dramas I decided to put one together.

Click here

Please feel free to give me feedback. People may have a better way but I think this is how a lot of people basically do it with my own little take on it. Given the force in the spring when you jack it up I think it's a pretty serious job to undertake so maybe those more experienced can add a few pointers that maybe I missed or would make this a safer exercise.

Mike.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Good work, I was too daunted by the thought of compressing the srings etc... myself so i ended up taking them to a Garage, cost a couple of hundred but its VW Warranty covered.

Great guide with great detail!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Very good work T:
now if your not happy with the drop grind the bit of weld out of your hub and drop the strut through there, A:.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahaaa! So you did reveal your secret to the public!

I think I'll be happy with it, 50mm is enough for me, I have to go up some rough tracks from time to time so need a bit of clearance.

Now while I'm saving for wheels I need to choose some!

Thanks again.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
sring compressors can be bought from almost all car spares places for <£25 and would be a lot easier to use and safer than rope..
recommend the type of compressors with two seperate roatatable the hooks each end. The cheaper onces with a single wide cast hook at each end dont sit very well on steep coils and can slip..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got spring compressors and used them once the strut was out of the van. They were impossible to install prior to removing the strut as the steel shoe/cup on the shock sticks out too far and gets in the way. Turning them upside down just has them hitting the top of the wheel arch.

I would have done it that way if I could.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am a newbe to this site,as i am a "hot rod builder/owner" and my T5 is more for work,i will be (as i can't leave anything stock,i just fitted a 250 engine in an old suzuki 125,just for a laugh)and will do this to mine, however,i would like to thank you for sharing your work with us,and being thoughtful enough to show/tell the pitfalls of such a task,John.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
T5 front struts are safely removed by removing the bottom balljoint bolts, driveshaft nut caliper steering arm and anti roll bar link.

There is no need to try any stunt using a jack bits of twine and a piece of wood.

Sorry but had to say it.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts