VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Newbie here.

I have just brought the above van and have noticed a couple of things that don’t seem right to me. I might just be worrying about nothing but I am sure you will let me know.

Anyway to the point, when the engine has been idling for a short while may be after a couple of minutes it develops a hissing noise. It also happens when the van is stationary after being drive for a while. Is this the norm for the 2.5 VW engine?

I have also been getting a fume like smell coming into the cab whenever the van is stationary e.g like being stationary at traffic lights or running it on the driveway whilst trying to identify where the hissing noise is coming from.

Are these two items linked? I have read a lot about hissing noises on here but only when the engine is under load.

I have told the dealer where I brought it from and am going to take it back to be inspected next week; however I would like to go armed with as much info as possible.

Thanks for any help/info in advance.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hmm, do a forum search for "cracked manifold", I'm sure I've read that this is a problem on the 2.5 lump (I have a 1.9 so can't help too much). I just do a lot of reading and this may link the 2 problems together.

Sometimes associated with power loss, but if it's a new van, you wouldn't notice that.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Welcome to the forum BTW, hope you stay for a look around.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum T:

The smell in the cabin will almost definitely be linked to a cracked exhaust manifold. They are quite expensive to replace but I had mine welded up over 6 months ago for £100 (including getting it off and putting it back together) and it has been fine ever since.

The hissing sound is new to me though, is it quite a high presure sounding hiss? It could be a leak in the VAC system. This opperates at negative presures but it's possible you could hear air hissing 'into' the system.

Hope you sort it out fella, they are great vans, you will love it!!!

Chris.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the help/advise.

An update of my findings!!!

After crawling about of the floor and a lot of leaning over the engine I managed to find quite considerable high pressure leak coming from the exhaust manifold/turbo area. Plus when standing back and looking at the heat shielding at the rear of the engine bay it is obvious to see that it is considerably sooted up, thus indicating a fairly large leak of some sort. The hissing is coming from the same area, I can only assume that this is happening when and turbo/exhaust system (?) has reached a certain pressure then it forces out through a gap in a hose or something similar.

So it is apparent that when the engine is running and the vehicle is stationary for some time the fumes coming from the leak are finding their way through the ventilation system into the cab.

I took it back to the place I brought it and pointed all this out to one of the mechanics who agreed with all that I was saying. Then the workshop manager returned and took it for a test drive and declared that he “could not smell anything” which is a load of bo&%£@ks . I pointed out all of the above to him on his return and the van has now unsurprisingly been booked in to have a look at it!!! Even though no word was said that what was happening was not correct.:mad:

I hope the garage surprises me and they replace whatever part is broken but I am not hopeful and expect that what eve is done is a temporary fix to get it past my 3 month/ 3000 mile warranty..... call me cynical!!!

On that note does anyone know an good/trust worthy independent vw garage in the oxon, berks or bucks area that I could pop in to get a second opinion?

I will let you know what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts