VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a few weeks ago my passenger door lock started acting up, refusing to unlock from deadlock. I eventually managed to unlock it (sheer luck) and disconnected the wiring to it. Fast forward to 3 days ago and my replacement lock arrived. I fitted it, checked everything worked and reassembled everything. Two door pulls later and the catch now refuses to work at all. I can't open the door from inside or outside.

It's locking, deadlocking and unlocking ok, but neither the inside or outside door pull will open the door.

Any (sensible) suggestions?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can remove the outside handle and manually operate the cable which IS still connected to the latch but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. Does anyone know how to remove the door card with the door locked shut? I really don't want to destroy it

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well wow - this site has gone downhill as far as helping others is concerned :*

I managed to get the door card off myself, with the door shut. In case this happens to anyone else and you want to know what to do, here goes...

I had to remove the passenger seat to give me enough access to the door. Then remove the door footwell insert (the big plastic thing you stand on when you get in) - it pulls up and forwards, I needed to use A LOT of force to get it out, but it's quite flexible and doesn't break. This gave me access to the small security torx headed screws at the bottom of the door panel (there are three of them - you have to feel for them with your fingers as there's no way to see them with the door shut)

I also removed the upper and lower B pillar plastic trims (the bits the seat belt is mounted to) they just pull off.

Then it's a case of pulling like mad. try to prise the door card away from the door half way down at the front and back, this helps

·
Registered
117 Posts
hi i had the same thing. just found your post as i am trying to find out what size torx it is to remove the lock now i have the door open.
any idea.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi i had the same thing. just found your post as i am trying to find out what size torx it is to remove the lock now i have the door open.
any idea.
It was a bigger torx than I had in my toolbox, but fortunately I managed to get an allen key to fit fairly snugly and turn the screw with that. I can pop out and try my largest torx if you like, then just go a "bit" bigger than that lol

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also, if you've not done it before, don't forget to take the window glass out before you try removing the metal plate that holds the winder mechanism or you'll snap the clips that hold the window in place!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts