VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'm having a problem with the passenger's side window & wing mirror electrics. I've done some investigation and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Drivers side
Window switch lit up (when van lights on)
Drivers side window goes up & down
Drivers side wing mirror tilts/pans and heater works

Passenger side
Window switch IS NOT lit up (when van lights on)
Drivers side window DOES NOT go up & down
Drivers side wing mirror DOES NOT tilt/pan and heater DOES NOT work

Central locking works in both doors
Speakers work in both doors.

I can't get the passenger window to go down by holding the unlock button down on the key fob.

When I put the passenger's window switch into the drivers switch housing, it lights up but does not work as a switch
When I put the driver's window switch into the drivers switch housing, it does not light up and neither does it work as a switch.
But then I'm not sure that the switches are interchangeable in this way anyway (the passenger housing has 3 wires and the drivers housing has 4 wires).

I searched around the forum, and it looks like my motor might be duff, but just wondered if someone could confirm this for me,

Thanks

Clive

2005 T5 130 4Motion

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't think it's the motor Clive. Since none of the functions are working on the passenger side I would expect a fault that is common to all. So start by checking that there is a good earth on the door, attach a wire on to the door and run it back to the chassis, see if that cures it, if it works then it is an earth problem, good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, next thing Clive, follow the wiring back from the passengers door and find the connectors where they go onto the chassis. Check they are secure (Unplug each, clean and apply a smear of contact grease to all of the terminals - available from Maplins in the UK) Systematically go through all of the connections within the passengers door. See if that cures it. If you still have no joy then I think what I would do next is to turn on the van lights so that the drivers side switch is illuminated then go through all of the connectors (un-plug and re-connect each one both drivers side and passengers side and see if the passengers side illuminates. If you are sure the earth on the door is okay then logically it must be something un-pluged / disconnected / poor connection. Oh just one other thing, I assume you have checked the obvious - fuses, the doors may be on seperate circuits so check the fuses! You know the line, Sir my car won't start. Madam is there fuel in the tank? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The contacts look really oxidised/chalky. I'll clean them and get some contact grease. They look like they could be the possible culprits, I hope so.

I'll locate some contact grease and get it done.

Sorry if it seems that you're telling me obvious things, but I'm a definite newbie at this and it's appreciated.

Cheers T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
No problem Clive, glad to be of some help. If you can't find contact grease, try WD40 (Rocket WD40 if you are old enough to remember) it will work in the short term...

·
Registered
380 Posts
The window won't go down by holding unlock on the key fob. You need to unlock the van manually on the drivers door and hold the key in the unlock position for the window to go down, and opposite to go up. My switch lit up but didn't function. New window switch was about £18. Window, mirror and lock switches are all seperate parts and easily replaced. I didn't have to do the mirror switch so can't help with that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi I recently had problems with my drivers side not working. The switch did not work any functions and did not light up when lights were on also the key held open in the drivers lock would only open the passenger window. I first replaced the switch that made no difference, then during a hot spell everything started working again but not for long as soon as we had some damp mornings it all stopped again.
I was lucky enough to get a new drivers motor complete with the PCB board and fitted just the board and everything now works fine.
I think the damp got to the PCB and caused a the fault, The new motor from the dealer was around £200 pounds I was lucky and got one for under £60 from ebay.
the switch that i bought first came in handy as the original would not unlock the doors but would lock them now does both and now my heated mirrors now work T:
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The contacts look really oxidised/chalky. I'll clean them and get some contact grease. They look like they could be the possible culprits, I hope so.

I'll locate some contact grease and get it done.

Sorry if it seems that you're telling me obvious things, but I'm a definite newbie at this and it's appreciated.

Cheers T:
Hi! I realise its 2 years on but did you sort the problem. An identical fault has occurred on my van and we've started checking the obvious. Where were the connections corroded?.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the motor and circuit boards (they're in one unit) and that sorted it. I got a used unit for 50 quid or so and changed it out myself pretty easily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced the motor and circuit boards (they're in one unit) and that sorted it. I got a used unit for 50 quid or so and changed it out myself pretty easily.
Cheers Clive.

I've extensively searched and checked the units in both the drivers & passenger door and also the module under the drivers seat. The only obvious fault I can find is green powdery corrosion on the one block connector and tracks of water marks through the circuit board on the Drivers door window module. Do you think this could be the fault with the passenger door as I have read that the drivers door is the master & passenger is the slave?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a similiar problem.
electric window working perfect on passenger side. nothing working on drivers side.
i checked for power and have 12 volts between rred/white and brown.
i have spayed contact cleaner on pcb of motor but no difference.
what should i do next... THANKS

·
Registered
7 Posts
how did this plan out? I have a T5 with same issues. Passenger window does not operate from the drivers switch or the passenger switch. The passenger switch is not lit up either. When the key is in the door and held open, only the drivers window opens. Also the passenger mirror is not operating either. To me this is pointing to a power supply fault. Any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts