VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've sold my 92 1.9D T4 and now looking for the T5 I've dreamt of! 2 days after getting the T4 a friend said, "Whatever you do, dont get the 1.9 Diesel, its slow and rubbish." Bugger, needless to say he was right, so before I buy the T5 I'm on here for precious info before I commit.

I was going to look at the LWB so I can fit my windsurfboards AND a cooker/sink, but is it still okay to get around for daily use does anyone know?

Whats the 1.9TDi like for carrying gear up a hill etc? Is the 2.5 recommended?

Any other gems are totally appreciated!

Thanks folks

Kleky

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have just bought a T5 LWB 2.5 and its fantastic! a bit more power than my T4 2.5

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
ive just got a 19tdi t5,the 88bhp,had a 2-5 petrol t4 before an that would :* rings round the t5 performance wise,but the mpg im getting on the t5 rocks:ILU:,does 75-85mph on a motorway no worries nice an quiet to,over taking wise an round town its deffinatley no gti,but who drives a van an thinks there lewis hamilton!:ILU:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
drove he T5 85ish bhp model- found it sluggish on hills- NOT IMPRESSED

i reckon the 1.9 102ish model t5 would be ok

I currently drive a t4 102 Which i find great

·
Registered
160 Posts
i had the 1.9 85hp for about 10 mths on a 56 plate it drove ok but i found it a problem with hills and carrying weight .then fortune smiled on me and i could afford to buy the one i wanted so i bought the t28 130 with all the lecky bits. and have never looked back i have had it 13mths and it drives a lot smoother ,and has a lot of pulling power and its a 6 speed as aposed to 5 .the tax is more ,i paid £119 for the 1.9 and now £180 for my 2.5 and the insurance has stayed the same.having owned both in the last couple of years ,the only thing they have in common is the great body shape

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have the 2.5 174bhp T3 short wheel base.

I knew I wanted one of the 2.5 as wanted the overtaking power. I would have been more than happy with a 130 but the 174 came up at a brillient price with everything except aircon. Which i'm surprised to find out that I dont really miss to be honest. Cruise nice and slow with the windows low!!

So either of the 2.5s will deffo put a smile on your face!!

Ryan

·
Registered
211 Posts
I recently picked up a T30 2.5 LWB and it's great. Extra row of seats and I can still get 5 mtb's in it. The 2.5 is great on the hills, but I would've been fine with the 102 1.9. In the end it came down to finding the right van for the right price. I had the choice of all the toys and a 1.9 or no toys and 2.5. The guys with the 2.5 took my car as part ex so I went with that in the end. Have a test drive and see what you think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the t4 1.9td and now i have the t5 2.5 130.

I would say get the 2.5 its awsome, and if you dont, and you go for the 1.9 again you will be in the same boat as you are now...........always seeing the 2.5's goes past you on a big hill/off the lights/on the motorway. :(

2.5 all the way mate, you wont regret it :ILU:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only way to go is 2.5. Have 2 130's which are great but the icing is my other 2 174's, whooooooot, cruise at just a nadge over the legal speed limits LOL: Pull like trains, except for spaccy 1st gear couldn't be better:ILU:
I tow a 27ft tandem caravan behind mine easy at any speed, up to 60 of course.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Iv got a 1.9 T28 104bhp model, id safely say its between 130 and 140 bhp after my remap, and pulls like a trooper! :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like the 174 is the way to go!

Gonna get a basic model and build it up bit by bit. Time to get the van I always wanted (other than a splitty) :ILU:

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Kleky, you big mincer

Stop talking about it and get out and buy one!LOL:

I told you the 2.5 was the way forward last year!

:cool:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aye, I'd get one asap but I can't find the one I want. A good 174 LWB tailgate is like hens teeth!

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I carry alot of stuff and I use a 104ps 1.9 tdi T30 and it's more than enough for what I want. Sure when it's empty it's like a pocket rocket but I would say don't rule out the 1.9 but stay clear of the 88ps ones..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know what you mean, took me best part of 6 months to find my t5. Had to be a LWB for the longboards and twin sliders and tailgate, low miles, 174bhp and elec pack and a/c and full service history. Finally found the van i wanted in a vw dealers in Norwich (i live in Newquay) bit of a trek but well worth the effort and wait to find the spec i wanted. Not one regret... good luck dude

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know what you mean, took me best part of 6 months to find my t5. Had to be a LWB for the longboards and twin sliders and tailgate, low miles, 174bhp and elec pack and a/c and full service history. Finally found the van i wanted in a vw dealers in Norwich (i live in Newquay) bit of a trek but well worth the effort and wait to find the spec i wanted. Not one regret... good luck dude
Yep, same predicament! I'm contemplating buying a cheap £300 car in the mean time so I can at least go windsurfing! So now you've got your LWB, does it occassionally put you off "popping to the shops" beacause it's a little big?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep, same predicament! I'm contemplating buying a cheap £300 car in the mean time so I can at least go windsurfing! So now you've got your LWB, does it occassionally put you off "popping to the shops" beacause it's a little big?
Haha yeah sometimes... its my pride and joy so if i go in the bus i take up two spaces and park at the far end of the car park to avoid idiots who wouldnt care less if they pinged the side. It does stick out slightly also but not excessively, all part of the fun IMO.
I am considering a MK1 caddy pickup to beat about in and to keep the mileage down on the t5 but cant make up my mind if i should go for a clean caddy or a ratty.

Or

Use it as an excuse not to go and send the missus instead :ILU:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts