VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is possible to mount tie down (anchor) points commonly found on the floor of T5 Vans to the ribs of the roof in order to store surf boards under the roof as a sort of internal roof rack (cheaper on fuel than using a roof rack).

Cheers,

Kit

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
What I've done for customers in the past is put 6mm rivnuts in the cross beams and screwed 6mm eye bolts into them so you can use a small strap as a sling front and rear. Tip if the surfboard fit neatly in the front cubby box .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like genius! Do you know what strength they are rated to? I am thinking about suspending everything from kayaks to surf boards from the strong points using a tarpaulin sleeve (to keep the inside of the van clean from all that salt water)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, How did this work out for you? I'm keen to find a way to suspend board and sails just under the roof, to keep the floor clear. I'd love to have a set of anchor points on the roof frame. I'm considering using
1) load anchor nets, suspended from the ceiling, or
2) webbing straps, across the van, at back door, mid point and behind seats.

It would be great if there are some captive nuts in the frame of the roof, something similar to the seat belt mounting nuts. Then you could simply bolt a plate into the frame.

Looking forward to getting some straps fitted :)

Cheers w_woking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts