VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an additional driver seat base as I look to take my double passenger bench out and replace with a captain seat.

Finding another base is proving to be not only difficult but it sellers and traders trying to sell for astronomical amounts!

Wanted to know if anyone has done a bit of grinding and welding with the double base that's already in and cut it down to size so a driver's seat would fit flush? Or is this simply not safe and advised?

I haven't seen it ever done but curious to see if anyone's tried it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is not the best way to do it.

I am also suffering from the same problem, prices are astronomical for complete passenger chairs but it can be done cheaper (and nicer).

There are passenger seat basis on ebay now for around £70. You can buy one and a seat from a golf or similar and bolt that too the seat base. The golf seats are a lot cheaper than the T5 seats. The holes are not identical so you have to make adapters. I am merely relaying what @Pduk has done and others.

Though I will follow the same path with some nice leather / alcantara seats.

Edit: sorry, didn't mean to sound dismissive. Hope this helps

·
Registered
170 Posts
i dont see why it wouldnt work if your handy with a welder or know someone.
youve not much to lose ayway in giving it a try as its worth next to nothing to sell, as im sure youve discovered!

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,333 Posts
Anythings possible but the bench seat base is part of the seat, not a separate base like a single.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm yeah that's what I initially thought!

Can a T4 base fit a T5? Guessing they're totally different too haha

·
Premium Member
6,170 Posts
How much is a complete seat from VWT5.pl? I bought mine from them 10 years ago. Plonked it on top of a sportcraft safe with swivel.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,333 Posts
And don't limit to looking for a passenger seat base, the drivers base is the same if you cut the handbrake bracket off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. If you are going to at some point put in a swivel base or plate the go for it now and get a swivel base it would work out cheaper in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts