VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new.

I stumbled on this place looking for tyre pressures for my 2008 2.5 130 VW Transporter Shuttle cos it has developed an alarming shudder.

Sadly its not a flat or the tyre pressures being out and I am finding more references to driveshafts and flywheel/clutch issues.

Its coming up to 30k miles and four years so its due a service anyway so I was going to get the garage to have a look at it for me but I would like to go in a bit clued up if anyone can give me a bit of a steer.

Whilst I am here, I have previously used breeze in Poole for servicing. Any better options in the Bournemouth area?

Thanks

Dom1

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Welcome in T:
If the shudder happens when your setting off from a stand-still, I'd guess that it's the clutch that's your problem. It will most likely need replacing, that's all of it not just the friction plate.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The shudder is a very common complaint on here. Many have wondered about its cause - and have tried to solve the mystery. Some have found that it can have something to do with a faulty injector. Some have found the engine mounts to be loose. Many are still stumped, having 'sorted' all the problems which could be the cause - but to no avail.

My T5 does it too. However, I've noticed that it does it less since I had a full service done on it. Plus, if I change my driving style to a more 'gentle' use of the gas pedal, it hardly does it at all.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The shudder is a very common complaint on here. Many have wondered about its cause - and have tried to solve the mystery. Some have found that it can have something to do with a faulty injector. Some have found the engine mounts to be loose. Many are still stumped, having 'sorted' all the problems which could be the cause - but to no avail.

My T5 does it too. However, I've noticed that it does it less since I had a full service done on it. Plus, if I change my driving style to a more 'gentle' use of the gas pedal, it hardly does it at all.
Do you think it could be an inherrent effect of the dual mass type flywheel & clutch set-up (not sure exactly how it works opposed to a "normal" clutch) & something that we just have to live with ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its in the garage today.

Took the mechanic out for a spin to show him the problem and he seems to think it could be a tyre/blancing issue so fingers crossed for a cheap fix.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine's in at the moment as I had vibrations/shudder last week. It has been ok yesterday & today, 2 dry days, but it was terrible last week cold, wet & windy.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Since I removed my EGR valve and "anti shudder valve" and replaced it with an allard pipe mines been loads better. Still occasional it seems if the flywheel gets a chance to start rusting a little bit ie stood for a couple of days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the mechanic reckons that my nearside front tyre has gone out of shape in a big way and the two rears a little bit.

I have been told that this has been seen before with Michelins.

Two new front tyres for me then I will report back if it has fixed it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well the mechanic reckons that my nearside front tyre has gone out of shape in a big way and the two rears a little bit.

I have been told that this has been seen before with Michelins.

Two new front tyres for me then I will report back if it has fixed it.
Thought it would be tyre related as i said in the other post.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Two new Continental Vanco 2 tyres and the problem has gone away.

Very relieved, thanks for all the advice.

Muppet1 you may take ten house points for Gryffindor for being right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts