VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting the new head unit fitted I have got a popping from the drivers side door speaker at higher volume. Not really a problem as it just gives me an excuse to upgrade them and do the dash speakers at the same time. ;) From a quick search I think that the speakers located in the door are 17cm but can not find a size for those mounted in the dash - I am guessing at 10cm but confirmation on the sizes of both of these would be great before I start looking at various options.

Cheers

·
Registered
249 Posts
just 1" tweeters in mouning plates on the dash mate , your struggle to get much else in there too . i was planning on 4" mids but did'nt have the depth without some chopping of metalwork .

steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can anyone point me at a thread or post which recommends some decent affordable speakers to replace the 2 standard door ones, and also two tweeters to add on the dash of a T5 ( I hear Alpine mentioned ?) .

I read somewhere that the standard RCD 200 is an ok unit and it's just the standard speakers which let it down and give that awful boomy bass.

Many thanks
Keith.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
The problem with replacing T5 speakers is the way they are mounted. Mine is an 05 and it had a pair of 6 1/2" blaup... whatever its called speakers which are ready mounted in their own housing. This housing keeps the speaker out from the door skin and away from the rising and falling window. To replace them you need to make up two rings about 25mm think to hold the speaker off the door. I used some off cut plywood. I didnt but it would be worth putting some plastic across the back incase the water from the window slot leaks on it too.

I bought

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO608C&Language=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=COS&ser=GTS

and for the back

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=GTO6527S&Language=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=MEL&ser=GTS

and for sub

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/pro...=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=LEN&ser=GTS

and lastly

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/pro...=ENG&Country=GB&Region=EUROPE&cat=AMP&ser=GTS

and its fantastic!

mostly powered off the leisure battery I also bought a double din kenwood head unit with i-pod control

·
Registered
212 Posts
Any chance of photos of your van interior with the speakers set up Ian?
Your links don't work any longer.
I want to use a sub in my van, but aren't sure where to mount it.
Thanks.

Ken.

·
Registered
223 Posts
After getting the new head unit fitted I have got a popping from the drivers side door speaker at higher volume. Not really a problem as it just gives me an excuse to upgrade them and do the dash speakers at the same time. ;) From a quick search I think that the speakers located in the door are 17cm but can not find a size for those mounted in the dash - I am guessing at 10cm but confirmation on the sizes of both of these would be great before I start looking at various options.

Cheers
I had the same problem on my T5. The housing and speaker is one unit and riveted onto the door. Simply drill out rivets, buy new housing at about £15 a pair (my local audio store had a pair already in), then simply drill new hole and use self tapping screws. Your new speakers are now ready to install :D

btw, I went all out and bought top of the range pioneer kevlar coned speakers and they sound sweeeeeet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had the same problem on my T5. The housing and speaker is one unit and riveted onto the door. Simply drill out rivets, buy new housing at about £15 a pair (my local audio store had a pair already in), then simply drill new hole and use self tapping screws. Your new speakers are now ready to install :D

btw, I went all out and bought top of the range pioneer kevlar coned speakers and they sound sweeeeeet.
any idea wat sort of depth there is to play with?? i want vibe but they are have a lot of depth to them!! thanks!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It might well have been these which resulted in having to drill new holes for them to screw into place. There are others available here though none specifically mention the T5 as an install option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts