VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have checked a few threads but thought that I would get a quicker answer if I ask the pro's....

Drove to work today whilst there was a thick frost and noted that after about 5 minutes the temp gauge started to move, no worries there.....

But just as I was going to turn the engine off I noted it was back to zero again (as if it hadnt moved)?

What the score here? Is it common? Is it a simple fix?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer..... Oh and..... MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL.... *<:)>

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mines the same on a 2010 T5.1, the other day, went back to the first line when stopped, also takes ages to clear a frosty screen when cold on start up, heater is not very good until about 10 mins in.

best to get a watering can of hot water for screen when frosty.:eek:

You would think that VW would have sorted a fast warm up for the winter by now for the bad German Winters, on My old Hilux's 2008 had a power heat button so that the engine would run a lot hotter, but I think this because in Japan there is no gas, and people plug the cars water system into the house central heating pipes, so the car warms up the house via the houses radiators.
This is why there are a lot of low mileage 4X4 imports from japan that have been sitting around ticking over day and night running heating.

It would be better in the summer, but not so good in winter, Ford have fitted a flap that closes when cold on the grill and opens when the engine needs cooling on some cars.

A heated screen would also be nice!T:

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would use a watering can of cool water.

Do some facelifted T5's (aka 5.1's) have a temp gauge then?? Mine doesn't have one?

You could try blocking the airflow to your rad to see if it warms things a little, could be your thermostat is defective or you could fit one with a higher opening temp for the winter

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I would use a watering can of cool water.

Do some facelifted T5's (aka 5.1's) have a temp gauge then?? Mine doesn't have one?

You could try blocking the airflow to your rad to see if it warms things a little, could be your thermostat is defective or you could fit one with a higher opening temp for the winter
some later 5s have them 07 +

·
Registered
213 Posts
some later 5s have them 07 +
Thanks mate, did the facelift not happen in 2010? One of my (ok its not mine its Lex)vans is a 10 plate facelifted, it has no temp gauge its a 140ps panel van did they fit a temp gauge to the combi etc??

Anyhow the 2010 heater gets warm quite quick i would say in 10mins. I also have a 2007 (56 plate which is mine) it is a 2.5 130ps i drove it 8miles this morning about 20mins and it was just getting warm the gauge was about 1/4.

Ta

·
Registered
201 Posts
I:Sorry, could not help that oneI:
Dunno thought they all had U'mm...... 8 miles is quite a long time, my ex Hilux would get hot at the end of my road, bout 1 mile..T:

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Thanks mate, did the facelift not happen in 2010? One of my (ok its not mine its Lex)vans is a 10 plate facelifted, it has no temp gauge its a 140ps panel van did they fit a temp gauge to the combi etc??

Anyhow the 2010 heater gets warm quite quick i would say in 10mins. I also have a 2007 (56 plate which is mine) it is a 2.5 130ps i drove it 8miles this morning about 20mins and it was just getting warm the gauge was about 1/4.

Ta
not sure about what models have or have not my 07 plate has one and ive seen a few more with.mines a 1.9 102hp :ILU:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Could it be...... why the engine runs cooler is that because the engine is a euro 4-5 it runs a bit lean in the derv pump...
I know when I had a old Land Rover 110 Turbo, when I used to advance the pump timing the engine ran lot's hotter and burn lots more fuel, but if you went the other way it would burn lot's less oil and the engine would run cool.
So what I'm thinking is the new engines run so lean, and don't get hot without gunning it.........
What do you fink...:D

·
Premium Member
6,386 Posts
Thats exactly right. Modern direct injection engines run so efficiently that the cooling demand at low load is all but absorbed by the heater. My 57 plate 130PS got the heater going after a few minutes today but while I bimbled along the wet and icey country roads the gauge barely registered. By the time I got to 6 miles and hopped on the dual carraigeway I wound the heater back to half heat and fan from 3->2 and by 1/2 a mile further on the temp gauge had jumped to 4/10s.

The old cold start retard lever (the 1.7 IDI engine in my Dad's T25 had one too) will get things going as the exhaust gas surging through the exhaust ports will be much hotter - those old IDI engine kicked out much more heat as the burning mixture was fired through a nozzle in the cylinder head.

Modern cars deal with demisting by fitting aux fired heaters and PTC air heaters (kettle elements) in line with the heater matrix. There's too much of a financial kicking awating any OEM which produces too much CO2. I dont think VW are quiet down to their quota yet (not great having Audi, Bugatti and Lambo under the corporate umbrella).

·
Registered
201 Posts
I feel that it is a bit dangerous having a van/car heating up slow, as it does not de-mist quick enough, and as we all are tempted to drive looking through the letter boxLOL: as we all see it and do it......
in this cold weather I always start up and go back in and finish my tea..:) then go out with the warm can of water........ not to HOT!LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts