VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got fed up with the rain, gonna sell the tent and buy a caravan! Any ideas what a 104 T30 will be like for towing, looks like it will be fine weight wise, but I was wondering what it will be like from a power point of view? Any ideas, experience?

Jason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have the 130ps and tow a 28 foot van it never struggles at all even up hills but my friend has the 85ps and has a 24foot van he is fine on normal roads you hit at motorway with a long incline and he is down to third. we went to scotland up the a68 3 weeks ago took us 6 and a half hours cost me £45 ish in fuel cost him near £60.
i guess it depends if your towing all the time and the weight of the caravan, as he gets alot more mpg (without carvan) than me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, it is a single axle Bailey, so should be quite light. Shipping length is about 7 metres (21' ish) so this sounds quite positive, looking forward to hooking up now.

Jason

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi mate,
that sounds like a familiar tale........I too sold the tent and got a 21ft Bailey, my
T5 104 pulls the caravan fine, even when fully loaded with five of us and loads of gear. Did Scotland recently no probs and not too heavy on fuel when on m'ways. Happy towing!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
try to keep all the weight in the van and the caravan light, should help better up hill speeds as your not dragging the weight.

i have a small eriba that i tow behind my 1.9, its quite happy at 60 but the long uphill drags can pull it down to 50

·
Registered
902 Posts
How about towing a horsebox? If it will I can pester my wife into changing her god awful Nissan x-trail for a T5. She can drive my T4 and I'll have the T5I::D ps Horsebox I think would be around the 1 - 1.5 tonne mark with pony.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts