·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for TDIdave but if anyone else finds it useful then great:D

VW T5 Towbar Wiring - All Models
--------------------------------

Bypass Interface should be used.
I usually stick the module under the headlining at the rear close to the wiring loom

Live connection to Battery 28x0.3 wire minimum 15A FUSE -
Run it down the lh side of the headlining down the a post behind the glovebox
out through a grommet to the battery.

Earth connection 9x0.3 wire minimum

VAN---------------------MODULE-----------------TYPE
WHITE/YELLOW---------BLUE-----------------FOGLIGHT
BLACK/WHITE----------YELLOW--------------LH INDICATOR
BLACK/GREEN----------GREEN---------------RH INDICATOR
BLACK/BLUE------------WHITE----------------REVERSE
REVERSE ONLY USED IF USING 12S SOCKET

SOCKET WIRING AS PER STICKER ON THE MODULE -
I normally remove the l/h door check run the wire up to there and then up to the headlining.
WHITE WIRE TO VAN METALWORK - EARTH

Hope this helps guys!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Strange comment about the 'Bypass Interface'.

I have just asked my Van Centre about this and they say that no extras are needed except to run the fog light wire in and out via the cut-off contact that is built into modern 7 pin sockets.

May be different if you are fitting the 13? pin modern sockets to feed caravan extras etc.

Rod.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
There is no extra module or anything elas on VW's own wiring diagram for a 2006 T5 although the vehicle must be prepared for tow bar to have the connectors in the D pillar.

Diagram is here.

Rod.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Received tow bar this morning.Cheers buddy

Hey rod fancy an evening wireing a tow bar up :p hehe

(ill bring beer cash sexual favors etc....)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Wiring my own comes first I am afraid Dave. The cable is in but I don't have the connector on the D post so I will have to break into the loom on each side. I'll let you know how it goes when I have found time.

By the way, how's the central locking? Did you / dealer find a fault on the CAN bus?

Rod.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I fitted one on my 04 reg t5, Never had any worries and did not use interface, Just tested which wire i needed using volt meter untill i found correct one, and connect the correct towbar wire to that.

I may have done it wrong, but my lights all worked and never had any probs, so did the job fine. T:

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
ill use the relay interface thingymajig cause i have one T: be silly of me not to !!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just fitted my towbar today (in the rain) but ran out of light so not done the electrics

Is there an existing grommet i can use to get the plug wire to the RH tail light - might become clearer in daylight tomorrow!

Cheers guys for the help!T:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I found grommeted holes available from below the vehicle on each side. They are hidden by the plastic under body covering.

From there it is possible to fish cables up to the area behind the lights and inside the body. My existing wiring looms were long enough to enable me to intercept the required wires into multi way sockets. Into these I have plugged the opposite multiway connectors fitted to the tow bar loom.

These connections can then be pushed back into the inside of the body cavity and the rear light cable grommet refitted. I found grommeted holes available from below the vehicle on each side. They are hidden by the plastic under body covering.

From there it is possible to fish cables up to the area behind the lights and inside the body. My existing wiring looms were long enough to enable me to intercept the required wires into multi way sockets. Into these I have plugged the opposite multiway connectors fitted to the tow bar loom.

These connections can then be pushed back into the inside of the body cavity and the rear light cable grommet refitted.

Rod

·
Registered
323 Posts
what type of towbar are you guys fitting? I am interested in fitting a detachable one and dont know what to pick. Been offered the vw wiring kit for £75 which plugs straight in, sounded not bad to me, thoughts?

cheers
B

·
Registered
323 Posts
The VW one plugs into the back of the lights however one wire has to get to the front of the van. I have changed direction slightly and now fitting the Westfalia detachable bar and westfalia vw specific wiring. £240 all in delivered from pfjones.
T:

·
Registered
61 Posts
The VW one plugs into the back of the lights however one wire has to get to the front of the van. I have changed direction slightly and now fitting the Westfalia detachable bar and westfalia vw specific wiring. £240 all in delivered from pfjones.
T:
Cheers Briz.
How did you get on with the westfalia wiring? Where did the wires have to go? Ive got my Bar fitted but still havent decided which wiring option to go for.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi Louper

I will know how things are going tomorrow, I have cheated and the towbar is being fitted at the bodyshop as they have the bumper off to respray at the same time as the spoiler.

I will drop you a line tomorrow when I have checked.

What towbar did you go for?

cheers
B

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I fitted one on my 04 reg t5, Never had any worries and did not use interface, Just tested which wire i needed using volt meter untill i found correct one, and connect the correct towbar wire to that.

I may have done it wrong, but my lights all worked and never had any probs, so did the job fine. T:
I know this is an old thread but I've just found some info.

The Indicators and Brake lights on the T5 are digitally controlled so are "un-fused"

This is the reason for advising bypass interfaces - you can get away with not using one, but may give you grief if there is an electrical fault on the trailer.

Sources : Rydertowing.co.uk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.