VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric window fault T5 Transporter. My driverside electric window switch unit started packing up a while ago, power to the unit seemed intermittent, sometimes it would work, sometimes not. I took switches apart and cleaned but this did not cure the problem. The electric mirror or passenger (driverside) switch is not working either. Passenger window works, on passenger switch, although is now becoming temperamental.... There appears to be power going to the unit. Any guesses before I have to go to a VW garage and remortgage my house???

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
It sounds like the fault is in the wires that are inside the door bellows, the big rubber thing between your door and the A pillar.
This was a common fault on the T4.
Check your wires there before going to VW.

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
I haven't come across the broken wire issue with a T5, the door bellows are arranged differently to the T4 and there is much less stress on the cables. If the van is over 5 years old I would suspect the switches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have the same problem. my electic windows switches dont work on drivers door. but if i swap the switches around then the switches will operate the passengers door- so its not the switches- plus the electric mirrors have packed up. is there a common control unit or relay???

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
When it's not working try turning and holding the key in the anticlockwise position in the drivers door. That should cause the window to open without neeeding a signal from the switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
05 t5 , drivers window causing me heartbreak, works on occasion, and then goes again , have greased up rails , motor works well , window not stiff , assume the pcb on the window motor regulaor could be at issue , any hints and tips gretfully appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

I have a VW Transporter T30 2.5 on an 08 plate. Now for the problem, I have a fault with my electric windows on the passenger side. My girlfriend tried to put the window down and it just didnt do anything. I can operate the window up and down from the drivers side. Now I come to look at it the day after, it still wouldn't work from the passenger side, so I put the window down from the drivers side. Now I tried the passenger side again. I pressed up and it went up, then I pressed down and it still went up. This would indicate that the switch is knackered, buy a switch and happy days, jobs done. So I bought a new switch and that still does operate the windows. The original doesn't operate now either.

It sound like this is quite a common thing, so I'm wondering if some could point me in the right direction. It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm having a similar, but not exactly the same problem. Do the mirrors work too? My passenger window and mirror have packed up together, they are definitely linked. I've been trying to narrow it down to a single component but it's very difficult. There are two control boxes, one on the drivers window motor and one on the passenger. I was told that the drivers one is the master and the passenger the slave but I'm not too sure how true this is. Have a good spray around with some contact cleaner and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had similar problems when I bought my 2005, T5 shuttle. Turned out that the door card module was faulty and needed replacing. They are part of the ECU system and so talk to each other. You will need to find a garage or VW to replace them and code them to your van.
A diagnostic computer check should show if the module is at fault.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, got a 2005 t30 and the passenger window stopped working. The motor still works with 12v put through it but the PCB stops this from working. Apparently you need the exact PCB to replace the one you have or they wont "talk" with the van. So the bad news is VW want to take 250 plus vat to sort it out. A total and complete rip off. Unless you are lucky enough to find the exact PCB , they do differ from age and model, you have no other option. I would love someone to let me know otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
had similar problem with my '04 T5 shuttle.power was only being supplied intermitantly to the drivers door switches,when there was no power, the central locking, mirrors and windows would not work from the drivers side although the passenger window worked from the passenger side.the problem turned out to be the circuit board that plugs into the drivers door motor which can only be bought along with the window motor, cost from local independant vdub garage £200+vat. and there are 3 different types fitted to this model of van.I managed to find one on ebay for£50 but they are scarce,the part number is 7H2959802 and once the door panel is off it is a simple job to replace the unit.hope this is of help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Generally I think most problems with window and centrals locking is the PCB getting wet along with the wiring under the seat. The million dollar question as far as replacement PCB's are concerned is, can you use a PCB from say an Audio. For example my window code is 7H2 959 801 for my 2005 T5 passenger window but I have found an Audio PCB with 8H2 959 801. The only difference being the first 3 characters, which I believe identify the the vehicle. Does anyone know if this stands up or am I looking for the full 7H2 959 801 to match.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just fixed mine, My passenger window and mirror didn't work and although I recieved a lot of advice on here it was quite varied as to what the problem could be. In the end I took a chance and bought a passenger ECB and motor (one unit 7H2 959 801) for £35 on ebay.

Luckily the gamble paid off and it worked! A:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've the same problem , intermittently won't work either side from both switches, then if van off and then on sometimes it will work all ok, replaced control module under seat with same box number but same, sometimes work sometimes not....

Checked wires into drivers door switches when it doesn't work and no power going to switches ... So is there any relays ect somewhere I can try or any other ideas, could it be the module on the door motor as in previous posts .?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All,

Driving home this afternoon in my T5 and the passenger window opened all by itself. It went down about half way, stopped and then after a second or two continued all the way down.

This happened a couple of times during which I tried using the drivers side switch to close it whilst driving along. The d/side switch sometimes overcame the opening, sometimes just stopping it midway and occasionally closing it. Thankfully it wasn't raining.

I called in to a friendly garage and whilst explaining the problem we could hear clicking from the passenger door and it opened as if to show Steve, my friendly 'Renault' mechanic, what the problem was. He was obviously anxious about delving into a VW and recommended a local VW garage.

Since reading the above and before I lay myself open to what could be hours of fault finding for a mechanic/electrician can anyone tell me where to find the PCB - in the door or under the seat ?

My plan is to check each switch, then although I don't know what it will indicate, I'll check the PCB and finally the wiring.

Any suggestions ?

George

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's a comfort control module under drivers seat, black box bolted to seat base with two plugs in it.. And iirc there's a pcb module attached to the window motor inside drivers door ...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi gcdrummer,

Thanks, yes that helps.

Is there a PCB in both doors or just drivers ? I suppose the question is - is there anything in the passenger door that I need to check ?

George

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
I would start with the switches as that is the most common problem. Water gets in when doors/windows are open in the rain. Problem is, you can't test them. Start with disconnecting drivers side switch and see if fault disappears.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts