VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I went to VW today and had to walk away with a bill for the drivers side £104, the first time both sides were replaced as 'goodwill' .less than 2000 miles ago The vans done less than Currently waiting for the case manager from VWCS to ring me back before I take it any further. The VW engineer said that 60% of the vans he has in have damaged or broken panels.

Looks like I've found my expert witness if I need to take it further.

Whilst under the van they notice the n/s panel was also misshaped. The panels are very flimsy and poorly secured, it's not surprising they come off. I collected a few photos....I'll update when I've spoken to VWCS again.

·
Registered
386 Posts
the fact that they are kept in stock at the main stealers shows how many they must go through, if they were fit for purpose then they wouldn't stock them as the only time the would be needed would be from someone repairing a accident damaged van,then they would be supplied to order only.
there must be many vans are driving around with missing undertrays and the owners not knowing, i know i had been it is only because of this thread that i looked under and noticed mine missing

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, VWCS contacted me to say they were going to refund me in full. So I guess the moral to the story is persistence wins. The mor people complain the more likely VW are to modify a defective part.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Well that was a waste of time !!! Just spoken to VW customer services and they are adamant that the parts are fit for service, and they are not going to replace the under-trays. Basically they are not interested. They say it is caused by an outside influence so they are not willing to cover it. I guess it does not rain in VW's world !!! Im not happy :bhd:bhd:bhd

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can add me to the list - replacing a drive shaft at the weekend I noticed most of both sides have fallen off, presumably due to hitting a few (admittedly fairly big) puddles after the recent flooding. They were definitely all present last time I looked a few months ago, although the drivers side was cracked in a couple of places.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well that was a waste of time !!! Just spoken to VW customer services and they are adamant that the parts are fit for service, and they are not going to replace the under-trays. Basically they are not interested. They say it is caused by an outside influence so they are not willing to cover it. I guess it does not rain in VW's world !!! Im not happy :bhd:bhd:bhd
Why accept their word for it then?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Add my name to your list too. 2011 140 LWB. Offside wheel arch liner and offside plastic undertray smashed ans ripped off driving in snow between Stirling and Perth on A9 last Friday night. Resulted in our Eberspacher air inlet pipe being squashed flat by snow as there was no longer any protection. Yet to find out if the heater itself has been damaged.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Re: T5 Undershield damaged
Time for an update. I lost another yesterday on the offside so unlikely due to a puddle. Off to customer services again.....

Spoke at length and mentioned the number of similar issues people were having. VW were aware of other cases but it appears that because they cannot determine the cause and broken parts are not available then they don't like replacing under warranty. I mentioned the possible link with mudflaps. I now have a case raised for investigation as I don't want to replace any more with the same part number as I think they are not strong enough. Under testing VW said they only came off/were damaged when going through deep puddles. For CS to know this they must be looking at the issue to be able defend themselves.

I'm going to book in the van for assessment and replacement so will update you in due course.

Totals now running at 26. I'm guessing this is the tip of the iceberg tbh but hopefully will go towards proving 'not fit for purpose'

Toucanspeed x2
Bigcat
Triffic
Lionel7 x3
TimR123
Teamfly
Davemud
rob23
thethugsdontwork
tumbleweed
philips321
Trikemania
emjaiuk
Pika
Bognor Motors x 3
flatfour1 (have front mud flaps fitted )
Craigcolt
Strewlpeter
Rich599
Danny Fireblade
T5 KNW
RattyMcClelland
sloopjonbee
johneames
6v6
hart5lizard
guy971
3banana

happy for people to cut and paste and add themselves:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Add me to the list 2010 t5.1 kombi

under tray completely mullered, not a clue when it happened found it when fitting a towbar when the van was 2 years old

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please add me to the list...near side bent back under the van, offside ripped off and missing. Also damage to the tinfoil heat shield above and to the side of the exhaust pipe. No problems with an older T5 (2004), T4, or any other VW van (T25/T2). Seems they used to be built properly, now they're built entirely to a price and not a decent spec. Rubbish!

Mine's a 2013 swb panel van. Undertrays definitely not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So far....

Toucanspeed
Bigcat
Triffic
Lionel7 x2
TimR123
Teamfly
Davemud
rob23
thethugsdontwork
tumbleweed

11 if you count Lionel twice
Can you add me to this list please?? I had rear seats fitted at the weekend and while the van was on the ramp i was looking underneath the van, just being nosey as i'm not great with mechanical stuff and wanted to learn a bit. Anyway, i noticed they were all in good condition, as they were a month or so earlier when i had them off to fit some side bars. Pulling onto the drive yesterday i heard a scrape on the ridge of the drive, got out to check and was greeted by a chunk of plastic on the passenger side (the bit next to the fuel tank by the middle section of the exhaust) hanging down!! Somehow it had snapped and was hanging on by 1 fixing!!! I had simply driven to work and back for 3 days, on normal roads at normal speeds........... explain that???!!!! Deffo not fit for purpose! I phoned a T5 spares place and they want £73 for the bit that broke!:eek:

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So by way of an update. The VW dealer secured the n/s panel to the front wheel arch liner in an attempt to rigidify the n/s under shield. Unfortunately this only caused the wheel arch liner to split some more. After some persuading (of VWCS) they agreed to replace both the n/s under shield and wheel arch liner as a gesture of good will as the warranty wont cover it. I'm assuming this is because the warranty covers 'manufacturing defects' ie the panel was manufactured as it should have been.:*

This is all very well but under the sale of goods act 1979, it states that the items must be:

1. Fit for purpose
2. Last for a reasonable length of time in a reasonable condition
3. Of satisfactory quality

I don't think they are and should they fail again then I will be pursuing redress under this act if I have to. The act relies on what a reasonable person would think is a reasonable time for the price paid so I do think I would have a case here.

The panels on both sides have now (or will have) been replaced twice on both sides. None of the under shield have ever come off on any of my other T4's or T5's so I'm guessing that the manufacturing, design or quality of these panels has possibly changed. I'll update if and when the issue occurs again.

To date it has been an unnecessary fight with VWCS and I do believe that they have been trying to just ignore the issue, but after spending so much money on a new 'premium' van I do expect to get what I paid for. I could have bought other brands for a lot less but I chose vw as a quality brand, something that has been somewhat bruised by these issues.:*

Rather than me adding names to the list, just cut and paste the list with your own names added below T:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Cant find the list m8 but Id like to add mine.
Just looked uner my 2010 t5.1, no engine undershield and a hole in the offside undertray behind the drivers door.
number7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you add myself to the list also if it's still going, 4 months after buying ripped both sides off with some standing water and bent some of the heatshield back in the process. When I checked there was no engine cover either. Know sometimes they don't come fitted with them, bought one from the all4cars ebay place and its great so far, havent replaced the rear ones yet. 2012 LWB panel van.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Please add me to this list, exactly the same, left and right ripped off going through standing water at night. 30mph. Cut hand, pi**ed off. 2011 T30

·
Registered
111 Posts
Add me too please mate. Tore mine off last week while in the Lake District. Wasn't a happy chap Having to lay down on the wet road in the pi55ing down rain to kick the rest of it off as it was trailing the floor.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts