VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Add me too please mate. Tore mine off last week while in the Lake District. Wasn't a happy chap Having to lay down on the wet road in the pi55ing down rain to kick the rest of it off as it was trailing the floor.
Due to flooding up here in the Lake District a couple of weeks ago i was driving along quite innocently when i encountered standing water on the road, any way loud noise, i thought the bumper had came off and i was dragging it under the van. Immediately pulled over and it was the underside kerbside plastic hanging off. thought i would just google it and low and behold this thread flashes up.

Take it theres nothing to do and fork out for a new one. Any one know the code for a new one?

Thanks Sean.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Due to flooding up here in the Lake District a couple of weeks ago i was driving along quite innocently when i encountered standing water on the road, any way loud noise, i thought the bumper had came off and i was dragging it under the van. Immediately pulled over and it was the underside kerbside plastic hanging off. thought i would just google it and low and behold this thread flashes up.

Take it theres nothing to do and fork out for a new one. Any one know the code for a new one?

Thanks Sean.

They are a pain in the rear , the part number will be on it some where , all vag parts have a number printed / moulded into them

·
Registered
250 Posts

Mine is a 2014, so may not be correct for your vehicle, lost mine to a big puddle a while ago, on the good side a replacement was relatively cheapT:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Interesting thread this, as I have a pre facelift van and after removing and replacing ALL the plastics to fit a Night heater I examined them and found them to be very good quality, very flexible and no cracks or damage anywhere and I have driven through a lot of standing water on Motorways in the past.
Looking at the previous pics of Gp covers I would say they look totally different and a lot thinner?

I stuck my head under a mates 2012 GP to have a look and he had 2 bits missing and no engine cover......his van has only covered 26k
:*

·
Registered
118 Posts
had to replace mine a while back , 2012 van , low miles. the replacement didn't even survive to journey to VW dealer , was cracked / split when I went to collect it. IMO they are too fragile & brittle & not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just lost our passenger front tray on a puddle too - got soaked lying in the road trying to pull it off. Hope it's not damaged anything else under there

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Just got back from St Ives after a biblical drive through severe rain and flooding and happy to say my under van shields survived un damaged , so guessing they must be fitted different from the GP kit :*

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Lost mine just before the Festive break in the dark and torrential rain - delayed me 2 hours picking daughter up from the airport as it didn't completely come off, just bent under the van and scraped along the road for about 10 miles as I tried to find somewhere dry with lights to investigate. It was difficult to determine what was causing the noise as rain was so loud and even with a torch I couldn't really see anything under the van due to sidebars. Ended up on a petrol station forecourt where I finally saw the damage and waited for the RAC to come and remove it. It was the nearside under the side door. Also just noticed that the near side rear bumper bracket has become detached or maybe broken possibly due to the same puddle!
Van is a 2013 Kombi Highline, a model and year which seems to have featured quite a lot on this thread.
Can anyone please advise if this is a critical part and what will suffer if I don't replace it.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,676 Posts
It depends which one has gone - IIRC there are at least 3 on the nearside. The front one probably protects some important bits, depending on the spec of your van (the aux coolant pump and one type of Webasto coolant heater is fitted there on some vans).

But the easiest thing for you to do is look and see what is exposed for yourself. The parts are not (in VW terms) hugely expensive, so it's probably worth putting back. While you are there, check that all the bolts and finger shredder washers are present on all the other panels, because some garage mechanics are prone to take shortcuts and "forget" a few fixings when putting vehicles back together. And the big washers are prone to just rusting away and disappearing...

·
Registered
217 Posts
My centre section was ripped from its front fixings at the weekend due to water on the road, causing the tray to bend down and drag under the vehicle. Not deep puddle and with sensible speed is a poor design leaving me to jack it up in the rain at the side of the road to bend it back up to get home, was going to wear it and just repair it and carry on but another puddle on the way to work has now trashed this part. So after finding this thread my stealer will be phoned tomorrow, not good for a 12 month old vehicle. Plus the fact it's a 4motion you would think the underside would afford a little more protection than a puddle?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another name to add please. Heavy rain last night in Sussex, and today noticed near-side side undercover completely chewed/half missing. I'm going straight to Eurovans in Crawley tomorrow with a Clint Eastwood face.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Just seen this, hit standing water at christmas, nearly tore off the one behind the fuel cooler and split it badly in 2 places. I can only presume it was a bit loose but the water was very deep. If not for the alloy heatshielding it would have come off completely, but it did bend part over to rubbing on the propshaft (4motion)

I was somewhat annoyed it came off so easily.

Had to sew the splits up with drilled holes and zip ties, refixed most of the fixings and a heavy duty zip tie to the fuel cooler mounting bracket.

Its still like that and holding well but I need to get it replaced.

Mines a 57 plate T5 though so I doubt I can complain to VW. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
After I have just lost my third nearside undertray in 1 year I thought I'd have a look at the T5 bible (this site incase you hadn't guessed) and guess what I am not alone. This time it's just bent not completely ripped off. I am completely reluctant to have a new one replaced at £90 a pop when I was doing 20mph through a deep puddle. Surely there most be a modification we can do. The vents on the tray look like the likely culprit. I may grind them off and see what happens, I will report back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After I have just lost my third nearside undertray in 1 year I thought I'd have a look at the T5 bible (this site incase you hadn't guessed) and guess what I am not alone. This time it's just bent not completely ripped off. I am completely reluctant to have a new one replaced at £90 a pop when I was doing 20mph through a deep puddle. Surely there most be a modification we can do. The vents on the tray look like the likely culprit. I may grind them off and see what happens, I will report back.
My dealer got back to me offering free labour. I directed them to this thread but they say VW think there is no problem (!!!!). Anyway I managed to fix the undertray back more securely and did a little modification to make it less likely to "scoop" water and pull the undertray down, so I will see how that goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well what was that then please share your mods thanks.
I just drilled some holes and used some zip ties to make the piece just behind the wheel arch mudflap firmer and also used a large penny washer on the first connecting bolt on the sill to spread the load and not pull through the plastic. I am thinking of putting some 20mm holes in this piece to the water can drain as soon as it goes in. When I get the Bus on the ramps again in a few weeks to see if it's holding up I will take some piccies

81 - 100 of 109 Posts