VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Special Rapporteur
9,676 Posts
It may also be worth doubling up on the finger shredder washers, as they weaken when they rust (and the original style ones on mine rust very quickly). The current ones from TPS are of a different design, with more metal and fewer finger shredder edges.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
I have two 2nd hand sets of most of these underside panels so if anyone needs one I could do you a much more reasonable price than buying new from the stealers ;)

Based in the Midlands but work near Southampton, these will be collection only as I don't fancy trying to ship them .

·
Registered
215 Posts
This is beginning to look like a wider issue that first suspected. Can I ask that if you've had any underneath panels replaced that you put your names on this thread and I'll collate the results

Toucanspeed
Bigcat
Triffic
Lionel7 x2
TimR123
Teamfly
Davemud
rob23
thethugsdontwork
tumbleweed

patrick6822

11 if you count Lionel twice
The drivers side behind the wheel arch it has part of the heat-shield attached, i though my exhaust had fallen down as the metal heat-shield part was scraping on the road, it was 4.30am and raining heavy so wasnt about to look under the van, when i did later the plastic had split, the whole thing was hanging off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good to know it's an old problem!
Anyone ever get anywhere with VW..?
I've had a T5, a T6 that was written off and now another 2019 T6 with 9000miles on the clock.
Just over a week ago hit a puddle driving in heavy rain at night.. ripped off the underside panel ns covering over the add blue stuff I think.
Called VW: "oh yes we have plenty of those, come off all the time, you probably hit some standing water".
£134
My van isn't lowered and I'm running standard wheels and tyres.
Yesterday, hit another puddle, stopped and looked underneath and sure enough the front half of the brand new panel was stoved in and rammed back in to the suspension and cracked. I managed to pull it out and make it sit where it's supposed to be and looked at it.
There's basically a bucket directly behind the front wheels that's going to be hit by anything thrown up by them, a perpendicular scoop of plastic. .
No contouring for aerodynamics or to deflect water at all.
This is rubbish.. and I dont think it's acceptable if every time I hit a puddle it's going to cost me £134! Not fit for purpose, I'd agree.
I had also thought about shaping (and currently resigned to having to) a bit of ally as a deflector over the bucket/scoop bit as mentioned in a previous post.. even if it was a flat plane angled at 50-60 from vertical covering some of the area it would help!
Frustrating!

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Good to know it's an old problem!
Anyone ever get anywhere with VW..?
I've had a T5, a T6 that was written off and now another 2019 T6 with 9000miles on the clock.
Just over a week ago hit a puddle driving in heavy rain at night.. ripped off the underside panel ns covering over the add blue stuff I think.
Called VW: "oh yes we have plenty of those, come off all the time, you probably hit some standing water".
£134
My van isn't lowered and I'm running standard wheels and tyres.
Yesterday, hit another puddle, stopped and looked underneath and sure enough the front half of the brand new panel was stoved in and rammed back in to the suspension and cracked. I managed to pull it out and make it sit where it's supposed to be and looked at it.
There's basically a bucket directly behind the front wheels that's going to be hit by anything thrown up by them, a perpendicular scoop of plastic. .
No contouring for aerodynamics or to deflect water at all.
This is rubbish.. and I dont think it's acceptable if every time I hit a puddle it's going to cost me £134! Not fit for purpose, I'd agree.
I had also thought about shaping (and currently resigned to having to) a bit of ally as a deflector over the bucket/scoop bit as mentioned in a previous post.. even if it was a flat plane angled at 50-60 from vertical covering some of the area it would help!
Frustrating!
If its under warranty, then force it to the small claims court. I threatened and they backed down

·
Registered
24 Posts
2014 T5.1, lost my second front nearside side undertray due to a puddle.. One new tray from TPS part no. 7E0 825 205A about £75. Eurovans in Crawley did fit the last broken one for free but bluntly refused this time.
I think the problem is actually that they're not attached at the front. If you look at the screws/grommets which mount the part, there is nothing at the front! No surprise it bends backwards when full of water. So I made a simple (not very pretty) bracket which i've attached to a largish Torx bolt underneath.. see photos. Tempted to find a puddle to drive through to test it but I won't obs.
Toucanspeed - well done getting it done for free.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
2014 T5.1, lost my second front nearside side undertray due to a puddle.. One new tray from TPS part no. 7E0 825 205A about £75. Eurovans in Crawley did fit the last broken one for free but bluntly refused this time.
I think the problem is actually that they're not attached at the front. If you look at the screws/grommets which mount the part, there is nothing at the front! No surprise it bends backwards when full of water. So I made a simple (not very pretty) bracket which i've attached to a largish Torx bolt underneath.. see photos. Tempted to find a puddle to drive through to test it but I won't obs.
Toucanspeed - well done getting it done for free.
I had them replaced 3 times - free!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I hit a puddle about 18 months ago and tore the front of mine off. Was pitch black, pouring with with rain and about 1am as I was rushing to get to our holiday accommodation. Got a bread knife out the van, hacked off as much as I could reach and coaxed the van the remaining 15 miles or so where the following day I hacked off more with a mind to replace it ASAP. Still not got around to it.

101 - 109 of 109 Posts