VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vehicle data sticker
The vehicle data sticker -arrow- is mounted on the dash panel trim in the footwell on driver side. The data sticker is also found in the service schedule for the customer.
On the left side of left-hand drive vehicles, on the right side of right-hand drive vehicles.

The sticker contains the following vehicle data:
1 - Production control number
2 - Vehicle identification number
3 - Model identification number
4 - Model explanation/engine output
5 - Engine and gearbox code letters
6 - Paint number/interior equipment identification number
7 - Optional equipment identification number

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just found this tonight on mine, as i had to take the panel off to fit my parrot bluetooth thingamajig.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If you want to decode all of the Optional Equipment codes go to this website.

Rod

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Simple answer to that!

You can't find the spec on your VW. But in theory VW should be able to tell you from the VIN number but don't hold your breath.

Rod

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
How does one find the the three letter acronym (tla) for ones van?

For example when looking for parts like this, I often find a tla like this, Platform: 7JD, 7JE, 7JL, 7JY, 7JZ.

The first two letters are I assume from the vin number (WV1 ZZZ 7H BH093024), so 7H in my case, but I don't understand the third.

Can someone enlighten me please.

Thanks

PS I have googled, but not managed to find an answer.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
It should be on the line immediately below the VIN. You generally get two lots of three letters/numbers in a larger font so, for example, mine shows:

WZ2 ZZZ 7H 4H XXXXXX
7HM C01

That makes my type 7HM.

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Thanks Strim, 7EH it is, u was expecting number letter number.
Feel stupid is now.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
7HM CO1 is a sales code defining the base vehicle. My LWB high roof Kombi is 7EJ 141 the year letter in the VIn is an 'E'

In the VIN the characters WV1ZZZ7HZBH123456

The B is the model year and the H is the factory designation 'H' = Hanover.

Model years where are...

1980 = A to 2000 = Y

then

2001 = 1 to 2009 = 9

then

2010 = A to 2015 = F

2016 = 6 and I assume onwards

Note that model years do NOT equate to calendar years but often (but not always) begin August the previous year.

Rod

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Thanks Rod, very very helpful.
My van registered in 2010 but 'B' denotes it as a 2011 model year. That makes sense.
Just found this, very useful.

So, I'd summaries the tla definition as (using definitions from link above).

XXY
XX being the digits 7 & 8 of the Vehicle Descriptor Section.
Y being digit 10 of the Vehicle Identifier Section.

This is my Vehicle data from my log book.
Feel better now.

So, my tla is 7HB.

Thanks chaps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know how you can identify the number of seats originally fitted to a Kombi from the information printed on the VI sticker?

I have just bought a T5 kombi with 5 seats, 2 x single front, 1 x double and 1 x single rear.

No brackets for 3rd row in rear and original flooring mats, no holes to show anything previously fitted.

Registration document says 9 seats

2013 T5 SWB Kombi

·
Registered
178 Posts
My Kombi is older - 2006 - but same situation as you describe - 2 singles front, & a row of 3 (a folding double, with a tipping single seat by the sliding door) & no mounts behind, in the original flooring. And listed as a 9 seater "diesel car". I Know of more recent Kombis that have the same seat layout. I think this is standard. Just the listing as 8 or 9 seaters is odd - maybe an admin mistake, treating Kombis as Shuttles. I cant see this matters much. In fact helps if you later want to add a 3rd row,

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
There is normally a list of Vw codes in the service book or under the drivers seat cross member or Vw should be able to tell you what the van is by the vin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts