VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all,

I have read loads of forums with people saying that Alloys and tyres need to have the correct load ratings. Loads of places on the net are advertising wheels for VW T5 but when I call them they tell me they are not load rated. Some have said it's ok as im converting it to a camper (not too sure about that!!) some tell me it wont pass an MOT. Why isnt this this more simple?????

I have a vw T5 (T26) with 16" steel wheels. It is a van at the moment but it will be a camper by the end of Feb.

I want a nice set of alloys with tyres that will be legal. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grat to hear them.

also, (this shows I'm dull) i take it the spare wheel is under the van at the back??? but if i get 4 18" wheels, will that spair still be ok???? I guess the 18" will have a smaler profile tyre????

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Russ

·
Premium Member
6,223 Posts
It doesn't matter if its a camper or a van (or a car as mine is registered). The wheels and tyres must be strong enough to carry the plated axle weights. You can find the axle weights on a sticker at the back left corner of the engine bay when viewed from the front. They'll be about 1450kg front 1400kg rear. Therefore the heaviest loaded tyres are the fronts which should be able to carry 725kg each which is a 97 load rating. I'm sure any half decent looking tyre you care to fit to a T5 will be over 100 load rating. Usually on 18" rims you fit 235/50R18XL 101s so you'll have plenty of margin.

Campers are normally based on T30 (3.0 tonne gross) and have about 500kg of load capacity (i.e. the van weighs ~2.0 Tonnes, the interior and roof come to 500kg meaning the empty camper weighs 2.5 Tonnes). With a T26 you'll have to be careful how much interior features you add and how much luggage you carry.

If you do your calcs correctly and the new wheels/tyres are the same rolling circuference then your old spare should fit the van fine and not cause any issues, dont fit an alloy spare as someone will nick it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same dilemma when i changed the 16" steel wheels on my 2009 T32. I had conflicting information from wheel/tyre firms. I wanted to be legal so decided on 18" sportline wheels from my local vw dealer. I got a decent discount and paid around £500 for the wheels. The standard sportline tyres 235/50/18 101 are ok for T30's but i put 255/45/18 103 on my T32. I notice the new 5.1 comes with this size tyre as standard so vw must have had the same problem. At the time of fitting the wheels to our kombi van it was are main car so i wanted it to be practical (wife kurbing wheels ect) but we have recently purchased a polo for running around so I could have gone bigger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, it was very helpfull. I think I have found a set of van rated alloys by fox. Don't look quite as nice as some but hey, i just want to make sure all is safe. Take care

1 - 4 of 4 Posts