VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have been an owner of a T5 for a while now 18months and been very happy.

But the more I read the more problems there are out there.

it seams our T4 neighbours have a better van than us or is this simply not true?

you can search on the net and see alsorts of problems with these vans..

But you don't see people moaning about their vans when they are working well so that's my point please post up your good view points as well please and lets see if we get a better balance of view point for the t5 because at the moment it reads that the T5 will blow up at 100,000 miles and then the gear box will go as well just for good measure..

I for one have a 55k mile T5 I have fitted a tow bar and that caused the glow plug light to flash, I am going to redo the tow bar and then reset it with a relay or some thing.. other than that it's been very good and I have been very pleased. it's a 1.9 104ps on an 05

I am starting to hear belt noises so I am looking to change all belts and cam belt very soon

so lets have some more T5 reports from owners please

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Ok I have been an owner of a T5 for a while now 18months and been very happy.

But the more I read the more problems there are out there.

it seams our T4 neighbours have a better van than us or is this simply not true?

you can search on the net and see alsorts of problems with these vans..

But you don't see people moaning about their vans when they are working well so that's my point please post up your good view points as well please and lets see if we get a better balance of view point for the t5 because at the moment it reads that the T5 will blow up at 100,000 miles and then the gear box will go as well just for good measure..

I for one have a 55k mile T5 I have fitted a tow bar and that caused the glow plug light to flash, I am going to redo the tow bar and then reset it with a relay or some thing.. other than that it's been very good and I have been very pleased. it's a 1.9 104ps on an 05

I am starting to hear belt noises so I am looking to change all belts and cam belt very soon

so lets have some more T5 reports from owners please
belt noise may be alternator freewheel, if youre gonna change the belt change the freewheel as well, save urself future heart ache

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers, It sounds like the belt is streaching sounds odd to say that but it does sound like that. Add that to the list I guess, this vans turning in to a Vito ,no better not say that and touch some wood quick :D

so every one else with T5's got any running reports? or are our fingers stuck in our pockets??????

come on A:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd hate to speak too soon but my 2004 T5 174 has 90k on the clock with FSH and no major problems yet, as far as i know (my mate owned it for 3yrs before me).

Please let nothing go bang now i've said that. :no

I too was a little concerned when i was looking for a T5 though, after some reports i'd read (i almost went for a T4 instead). But then after speaking to a few people in the know my mind was put at ease a little. My brother-in-law is a mechanic and reckons most of the stuff he reads is b:*s i.e the engine is too powerful for the rest of the ancillaries etc.
On top of that just look how many are used as airport minibuses and taxis, there are loads (at least where we live anyway) so they must be reliable enough.

If you research into any car you'll find supoosed problems.

All said and done, it's a VW, how bad can it be I:

·
Registered
406 Posts
cant fault the t5's, mate at works had 3 and swears by them, im just p1ssed his are all way faster than my ex aa T4,

·
Registered
153 Posts
120k no issues yet, I drive it sensible & treat her well- have faith in the old girl- 1.9tdi 104
I hear of issues with the 174 but its still a new van so will have a few issues

·
Registered
645 Posts
You can read about my woes (previous owner had major issues) in other posts.........but so far in 10,000 miles in 6 months no problems other than wear and tear. Very happy with my ride :D

T28 SWB 174, 49,000 miles..........*rubs wood vigorously!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had my 130 lwb shuttle now for about 4 months, put about 5000 miles on it and more than happy so far, although it is much more like an MPV than a van like my T4 :(

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just gone passed the 100k in mine,05 plate,sounds to me like the 1.9 104 bhp appears to be the most reliable engine on the T5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts