VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Thinking of buying my first transporter and I'm looking for some advice and inspiration.

I'd like to buy a T6 and covert it into a camper with space to store mountain bikes inside alongside the bed (I don't like the idea of hanging expensive bikes off the back on a rack).

Ideally I'd like to have space for a fridge and sink. Also would be nice to have some seating space for day time use too.

I can't decide on the layout of the van, whether a sliding pullout bed would be better suited than a rock and roll, if I'd need a LWB van etc.
At the moment I'm thinking I could possibly have a pullout bed, fridge and sink all on one side (if it'll fit?) and leave space on the otherside for the bikes.

So I'm just wondering if there's anyone else on here who's done a similar build to this with bikes in mind?

Any help appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Firstly welcome aboard T:

Secondly, I'm in the same boat, bought my first T5 4 weeks ago with a plan to convert it to a bike carrier / camper. Like you I'm not a fan of hanging the bikes on the back, but the more I look into it, that may be the only option if you want to fit out the back with seating, sink etc

You could however, have the rear seats pivot sideways so they tuck up against the side of the T6 allowing you to slide the bike in along side if that makes sense. Would mean custom brackets etc

One thing that could be worth doing, get the sizes of the floor plan of the T6 including wheel arches, map them out and start playing with layouts. I've got Solidworks so when I come to start I can do it on my computer, and we have a wood working shopfloor so I can call on their services for cnc'd panels and materials :D

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Loads of mtb vans on the build threads bud
I carry mine inside when possible but have a fiamma on the back for when its lagged T:

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Cheers Stuart, working my way through the build threads steadily T:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing that could be worth doing, get the sizes of the floor plan of the T6 including wheel arches, map them out and start playing with layouts. I've got Solidworks so when I come to start I can do it on my computer, and we have a wood working shopfloor so I can call on their services for cnc'd panels and materials :D

Thanks for the reply!
I think this is probably going to be a good idea, would be great to be able to map out the area of the van in the back garden and see how I can use the space.

I think a slide out bed would be ideal for me, the issue's just going to be whether or not I can still fit a fridge etc in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loads of mtb vans on the build threads bud
I carry mine inside when possible but have a fiamma on the back for when its lagged T:

Thanks, I'll take a look today.
I did think about a rack but the whole idea of me getting a van in the first place was to be able to just shove the bikes inside and get going... wondering now if it's even going to be possible to have both a camper and inside bike storage.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
I think this is probably going to be a good idea, would be great to be able to map out the area of the van in the back garden and see how I can use the space.

I think a slide out bed would be ideal for me, the issue's just going to be whether or not I can still fit a fridge etc in.
I think it'll be tight, but you could install a fridge and sink to the offside and build a bike rack (possibly removable) to the nearside.

Going to be a life size game of Tetris till you find the perfect set up T:

Thanks, I'll take a look today.
I did think about a rack but the whole idea of me getting a van in the first place was to be able to just shove the bikes inside and get going... wondering now if it's even going to be possible to have both a camper and inside bike storage.
This is my thinking, but as I say above, a little mapping out and planning could see a resolution. I'll be doing the same over the coming weeks so if I come up with any ideas I'll post them up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be great T: I'll keep an eye on your posts!

Going to look at few vans this weekend so hopefully I'll be an owner next week!

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
That would be great T: I'll keep an eye on your posts!

Going to look at few vans this weekend so hopefully I'll be an owner next week!
I've actually got a 3D Transporter Solidworks model so I can literally model the kit I want to put in the back and see how it works, virtual Tetris LOL:

Good stuff, exciting times ahead. You looking at vans or semi converted? I opted for open backed with side windows so it was a nice blank canvas to work with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've actually got a 3D Transporter Solidworks model so I can literally model the kit I want to put in the back and see how it works, virtual Tetris LOL:

Good stuff, exciting times ahead. You looking at vans or semi converted? I opted for open backed with side windows so it was a nice blank canvas to work with.

Sounds ideal! I've used SketchUp once or twice before so maybe I'll have a pop at drawing something up.

Just looking at vans at the moment, want something I can make my own and hopefully it'll be a fun project!
Ideally looking for something that's not white but not sure if I can justify the extra money just for a silver or black one :*

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
Sounds ideal! I've used SketchUp once or twice before so maybe I'll have a pop at drawing something up.

Just looking at vans at the moment, want something I can make my own and hopefully it'll be a fun project!
Ideally looking for something that's not white but not sure if I can justify the extra money just for a silver or black one :*
Good thinking, it's all about putting your own stamp on it and making it custom to your requirements. It'll be a great project! T:

Yeah white is pretty common, there's 2 in my office carpark including mine, and this morning learned that another guy is buying a fully converted one, so in a few weeks time there's be 3 white Transporters parked out there LOL:

I very nearly bought a black one, but it was literally advertised for less than 7 hours before it sold! Got to be quick mate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about a pop top roof bed? Then just save downstairs for bikes, sink and storage?

I didn't think of that... pretty good idea. Could have sink etc along the drivers side and rotate all the front seats to form a seating area T:
Just did a few google searches, probably looking at £2500 plus to get a pop top installed?

I'm yet to find to a suitable van btw but still on the look out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good thinking, it's all about putting your own stamp on it and making it custom to your requirements. It'll be a great project! T:

Yeah white is pretty common, there's 2 in my office carpark including mine, and this morning learned that another guy is buying a fully converted one, so in a few weeks time there's be 3 white Transporters parked out there LOL:

I very nearly bought a black one, but it was literally advertised for less than 7 hours before it sold! Got to be quick mate.

Just had a look at the T5.1 album on your profile mate, van looks awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts