VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great idea. I miss Dab too (in my 2013 5.1). I was thinking of buying a Dab unit that transmits to FM, but this looks much cheaper.
Hope the answer is affirmative....

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Speculatively if physical fitment is the same, and wiring connections are the same, it would come down to how much canbus integration there is and how much has changed on the T6.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Speculatively if physical fitment is the same, and wiring connections are the same, it would come down to how much canbus integration there is and how much has changed on the T6.
The pin out in the quadlock is different, and not sure the Canbus protocols are the same, though same size

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Looks like it will be a case of buy one and try it. I'll just have to remap the connector correctly. Will update when I get around to it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The new generation MIB radios are using component protection instead of the usual code protection. The radios have to be coded to the car with dealer equipment, and I don't think the older cars support this function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone using one of these? Seems like a good affordable option. Is it easy/cheap to set up with bluetooth handsfree?
An update... Managed to pick up a RCD310DAB for 70 quid on ebay. It took me about 15 minutes to pull the old unit and insert the new. I purchased a windscreen DAB aerial but just mounted it to the metal piping under the stereo. It works ok but drops out a fair bit on the run so will have to think of a better solution.

The stereo works great and picked up the bluetooth and reversing display, etc. that my old unit had (i believe these are separate modules elsewhere in the vehicle, so if you have them now, you will still have them after and vice versa)

The only slight snag is this unit must have come from a car as the display is not as bright as the old unit so in direct sunlight it is now hard to see whats playing. Worth it though for a choice of radio beyond the rubbish on FM.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Dab aerial needs to go on the windscreen

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
The new generation MIB radios are using component protection instead of the usual code protection. The radios have to be coded to the car with dealer equipment, and I don't think the older cars support this function.
Wish I'd seen this post before letting the other half loose on ebay, as got a head unit from a T6 on the way to me.

Anybody know if the dealers will code the unit to the van?????:confused:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wish I'd seen this post before letting the other half loose on ebay, as got a head unit from a T6 on the way to me.

Anybody know if the dealers will code the unit to the van?????:confused:
Some people have had dealers remove component protection for them so it can be done but lots are reluctant to do so. You might need to prove the unit is not stolen and so on. You probably can't do this with an ebay item?

The biggest hurdle you're going to have is the compatibility aspect mentioned above - if the T5.1 modules don't support the coding required, it won't happen. Even if they do, are the modules even compatible with the newer systems?

The T5.1 modules/CAN is roughly speaking equivalent to Golf Mk6, the T6 uses the same system as the Golf Mk7.

It's worth pointing out that in the Mk 7 Golf, if you didn't spec navigation when the car was built it cannot be added later. The VW factory refuse to do it. Even if you bought all of the hardware and coded it, the nav does not work. There are other options like the Kenwood add on and there are a few hacky things to get it sort of working but no way to give the same outcome as factory nav.

They certainly know what they're doing with this stuff now....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts