VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

just had me California serviced and saw that they had a new van called the startline, which is basically a day van which can be used for sleeping etc. It also has the table that fits into the side door like on the california excepet on the right or left side, eg california door is on the offside where as the startline is on the nearside.

I asked about the price for the door trim to fit the table and the table itself with the rail as its an excellent way to store a table which can be used inside and out without getting in the way.

Table £200
Door trim £300
rail £15

+vat total £557

A lot i know but if your doing a conversion worth looking at, this startline also comes with pop out blackout blinds made to measure by VW

Hope this helps.

GI

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think you will find that it's a completely different door! And only available for the Right side of the vehicle.

I've modified my own Left side door. Did similar on a T4 a couple of years ago.

Original inside of door.

Inner reinforcing cut out and replaced by square section tube bonded to outer skin with Sikaflex.

Inner trim panel cut and trimmed with velour.

Outer trim panel made from original VW panel trimmed with lining carpet.

Completed door trimming with aperture for table.

Table viewed from underside fitted with Reimo swivel mounting plate.

Completed job with table in place.

I've since fitted a rotary catch to stop the table tipping out. The present catch solution works OK but I have ideas for a better (nicer looking) one.

Note that if you have a table with a mounting base it needs to be a very shallow mounting as the door is not very deep.

Rod

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rod,

No its a new vehicle called the Startline and is UK spec with the door on the nearside as opposed to the california with the door on the offside. The door is a standard sliding door as fitted to all kombi and the trim is specialy designed for this new van, if your passing the dealers have a look at one.

GI

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Sorry, didn't realise that the Startline had a table in the door.

It's not a new model though, just a new introduction to the UK.

We saw it whilst in Europe in the early Summer of 2008, this picture is taken at the top of the Furka Pass just a couple of days after it was opened after winter snow. 'Startline' graphics on the side.

It had the same wheels as our T32 (in the background) do the British ones have the same?

Rod.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They dont have the graphics but they have alloys and full body colouring as well. Dont know if their are different specs etc.

GI

·
Registered
407 Posts
I looked inside one today.....one of the rear wheel arches is.....bare metal!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts