VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I was carpeting my tailgate plastic today and when I pulled it off there was a device hanging out which I think is the tailgate child lock. It didn’t look like it was doing anything as although it is wired there is no part to it which could have turned it when they key is in.

mom wondering if there actually was a piece there but I’ve lost it somewhere and now the child lock is stuck on so I can’t open from the inside switch.

Does anyone know what has happened? Is there supposed to be a stick piece which goes into this device?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,430 Posts
I'm guessing here as neither your profile or post say what the van is but if you've got a switch on the inside it must be a face lift, so the wire you can see is behind a round hole? It's probably what you pull if the electric release fails to open the tailgate & should be covered by a plastic bung, but then you say about putting the key in which you can't in a facelift as there's nowhere to put it. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a T5.1 face lift (good guess) sorry I couldn't find where to update my profile like yours.

There was a white plastic housing hanging off by a wire when I pulled the panel off the tailgate. I'm pretty sure it's the childlock because it has a key hole in it. I think there is a spindle which has fell out in tailgate somewhere going to investigate!

I can't remember which side it lives on but I know it's accessible from the bottom side of the tailgate.

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,430 Posts
The 'child lock' is on the underneath to the right of the latch, quarter turn, which you can operate by the end of a key or a screwdriver. I think, that is I assume but I've never had cause to investigate, it's an electrical switch that disables the internal switch the same as dead locking, so it can only be opened from the outside handle which is just another switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts