VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the tailgate vans where the door opens upwards. But the door seems to be locked shut even though I can turn the key in the lock. I tried getting at the lock from the inside and there seems to be a small metal bar that flips left and right but still doesn't open.

Is it possible to open the tailgate type rear door from the inside?

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one of the full-width plastic covers and it doesn't seem possible to remove it with the van door shut. :/

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I poked about with tip of screwdriver because I can get it near to the locking part but no joy. I think the cable might be disconnected.

·
Registered
240 Posts
you can lever it open from inside with the plastic fitted. quite tricky but possible.
When you get tailgate open you need to remove panel to access the lock mech.
when you operate the key look what is happening there is a bit that bends and stops it working this may well be your problem. i cant remember too many details as its a while since mine did it..T:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This happened to my van, a few kicks on the inside of the door sorted it. Went back out to the lock and it opened. Must sort it properly lol.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
obviously could be the mechanism, but ours was difficult to open as the keep adjusted too far in, so the catch couldn't move as too tight
been fine since adjusted
have you tried banging - inside & out - while someone lifts the rear catch?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks to the POs excessive need to perform TomBodgery on anything and everything, my tailgate lock is 'non-functional'!

I have found that the 'lefty-righty' bit should be restrained in a mid-position when unlocked and be able to move to the right when locked, this part is what pushes down on the lock from the outside latch. I gave up the other night as it was too cold to carry on and the shed kat was being annoying...

... I should really give it another go soon...

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out on mine there was this small little black-plastic ball-joint type thing that has slipped off the metal arm it is usually attached to and that twas the cause of me having to almost batter my tailgate into oblivion.

I had to take the panel off the inside to get at the lock because frustratingly my fingers are too big to get in through a hold where I could see the lock but not access it with tool or fingers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a similar problem on m T5 camper. I had to remove the rear card/liner (not easy with bed etc) and found the actuator rod had jumped out of the latch lever. I pulled inwards hard on the door (using the double skin as grip) and the lever then easily flipped up.

I think it was pressure from stored pillows etc pushing the door out. I now have a little flap cut into the rear card incase it happens whilst camping.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts