VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some please please tell us how the handle comes out of a t5 tailgate , 2 hours wasted today it got to be easy somehow

We took the three long screws out and flipped up the clip on the barrel but the buggers stuck fast

Please.....................

Wattie

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sorry mate can't help...............
BUT you could help me out big time if you would?
I need an image of how the internals of the tailgate locking mechanism sits in the gate.
I am currently doing a tailgate swap from barn doors so i have no idea how any of the parts i have got form various places go together.

Sorry again for not being able to help....

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All on bits at the mo but will try to get a shot of it when back together

Cheers

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Flip the c shaped clip out the way.
If you slide it up it still holds in the groves

Man its hard to explain....

Refit the clip while the handle is out and it slots back into place

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flip the c shaped clip out the way.
If you slide it up it still holds in the groves

Man its hard to explain....

Refit the clip while the handle is out and it slots back into place
Think I know what you mean , I think it must have got some damp in there once upon a time , moved the clip right out of the way and it's still hanging on , will keep trying the bugger won't beat me ..........I hope

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ended up cutting my old tailgate to remove the handle, then removed the lock after, but didn't refit it, put a camera in the hole instead.

·
Banned
102 Posts
Ther 3 bolts hold it together remove these and it dosnt seem to go any where you need to look
down the left side (stood under looking backwards) and theres accses at the very bottom to flick the clip off (pull) that holds the lock in once thats done handle will kinda hook out of where it is.it may need the box pulling back a bit to allow this.the lock box part will then be able to come off.
Put the clip back on before you put handle in and it will clip back together when put back in tailgate
3 hours to learn myself that because no one had a clue now its a 15 minite job
*<:)>

·
Banned
102 Posts
One more thing wd40 the screws,as sometimes they are bit rusty and if someones tried to screwdriver there way in the van by prising the handle out any damage around it will make it harder to get out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Barrel sometimes sticks in handle, 12mm socket on outside of barrel and a quick hit with a small hammer does the trick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts