VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

It has been a while now since I have posted here and it is usually with a problem........my tailgate is falling off! :eek: I noticed a cracking noise every time I close the boot and on closer inspection it appears the hinges were loose. I took it to my local body shop to get them to tighten the ridiculously long bolts up only to find they were tight and it was the body that had cracked and was giving me all the movement. When I fitted the tailgate I used the existing holes and fitted the specified Vw reinforcing plates on each side. Is there supposed to be some other sort of reinforcing in this area as if I leave it much longer I think the tailgate will fall off!! I did message vagnostics on the internet and they have not responded. Any advice would be great especially with some tips on how to solve the issue. Cheer

·
Administrator
5,401 Posts
No there is no additional spreader or backing plates other then the ones it sounds like you have fitted

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really hoping someone could tell me there are not the same reinforcements in place months barnndoor model. There have been so many of these conversions done now that this must have happened before surely....?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
We've not seen it before on any of the conversions we have completed

The only thing that could possibly cause this would be the hinges set wrong & stressing the metal work when its closed

·
Administrator
5,401 Posts
ive done two conversions and about to do my third, never heard of anyone else suffering from this. Who did the conversion for you? Something has definitely not been done/aligned right in the hinge area. Whether the door is open or closed the gas struts are always going to have an element of support on the door and therefore reducing the amount of strain on the hinges. Did you have the lower guides fitted? Just wondering if you didn’t if flex would have caused it. Also are they definitely t5 hinges and not t4, they look very similar

·
Registered
1 Posts
not sure if I'm allowed to bump an old post but did anyone find the solution to the problem because I'm getting exact same problem with my tailgate after undergoing the barn door to tailgate conversion

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
not sure if I'm allowed to bump an old post but did anyone find the solution to the problem because I'm getting exact same problem with my tailgate after undergoing the barn door to tailgate conversion

Cheers
Could you post some pictures please?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts