VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm going to buy a T5 T28 102 panel van but they all seem to come with two rear doors!
Is it possible to fit a tailgate door to the van ? which I really want!
And if so any idea of costs etc...
Going to convert the van ready for my hobby of fishing, can't wait
Thanks Tom

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
Hi Tom,

Yes it's possible, I have done one T5 ( and will not be rushing to do another) and loads of T4s. The T5 is loads more difficult to get right as the panels are super thin on the T5 and strut mounts are a real issue. ( I have sorted a solution, but it is not as simple as a T4!!!)

Tailgates seem to fetch around £300- £350. The trick is to get all the bits and pieces you need to go with the tailgate not just the bare tailgate. Make sure the loom has been sympathetically removed by uncoupling plugs and un bolting earth points rather than cut out with side cutters. ( VW looms are mega expensive)

You will need the plate the tailgate locks to.
The struts,
Wiring bellows
The lock system on a T5 is very difficult to remove, so make sure that you get a key for the tailgate as it may be a simpler option than retumbling the lock to match the original key.

Hope that helps.

Cheers Trev.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I hear every thing he says as I am currently doing one my self.

I have a spare bare tail gate I am happy to sell as I am going to do my other van later next year and I want the space more than the tail gate at the moment. Plus mine is one with glass and I want one with solid metal.

The metal is thin for the strut area and I have an idea I want to do for this area to make it thicker. Also the locating parts ( not sure what they are called ) lower down on the tail gate need securing in place and the only area I have my head scratching at the mo is the centre plate for the locking part at the bottom.

Other than that it looks perfectly possible and yes it would seem T4's are an easy convert over T5's budget upto £500 or more.

Every tail gate I have seen needs work to them. But it's only paint etc etc.

Having a tail gate T5 is bliss I can tell you that I have had tailgated factory ones and very good.

Wind Welder..

My wires are of concern I have managed to cut out as much wire as i can when I got mine from the scrap yard. The guy wanted to cut it 4" from the top:eek: I managed to trace it back and pull out as much as I could and got 4-5ft of wire it's all white!! ekk

any tips would be good other than that I am going to just bell it back for each wire. not too worried about rear wash wipe as I can have this fitted as a rocker switch on the dash..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your advice! Most appreiated ! Sounds like it might just be easier to stay with the double doors that come with the standard vans!
As soon as Xmas is out the way I'm off to purchase the van!

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Got one that will be for sale shortly after christmas, barn doors though.
Blue limited edition trendline, T28 102, single captains front seats (pass rare genuine factory swivel) and Kombi 2+1 rear seats/floor etc. A/c, e/m/ e/w/ , 1 owner, fsh at vw (and cambelt done), 93k miles, 2 sliding rear windows, 2 barn door windows, all factory tint. Parrot bluetooth, 16" genuine new vw alloys and new dunlop tyres, towbar/electrics etc etc.
Price to be confirmed when finished.
Call me for info,
Colin
VW Transporters Ltd
T/A Oxford T5
07799 626310

1 - 5 of 5 Posts