VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a leak in the the back that's driving me mad.

The leak is on the left hand side of the tailgate and comes through the carpet and rips onto the rear unit.

There are no holes in the chassis or roof and I'm pretty sure it's the rubber seal not functioning properly, the water seems to be getting under the seal at the top and coming through to the inside where it goes behind the carpet until it forces it's way through.

Has anyone else had this problem? The rubber seal is not in bad condition and the carpet has been pared back so it doesn't affect the rubber.

Do I silicon the bejaysis out of it or shell out for a new seal?

Cheers.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Sounds familiar.......

I just discovered this morning that I've got a small leak coming in through my barn doors. I removed the rear plastic step strip as I bought a full length one the other week. When I lifted out the polystyrene packing pad the carpet was wet underneath. I put it down to the weather as we have had a lot of wind driven rain up here over the last few weeks and the van lies in the driveway with its a--se parked out in the elements. There is no evidence of damp anywhere else so I'm convinced that it just being driven past the seals by the gale force winds.

Hope you find the cause.............

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
279 Posts
I experienced something similar. In the end decided to grab hold of the seal and pull it outwards about 1/2 an inch. That way it makes a better seal when the tailgate is shut. Not ideal but seams to work....

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I may have found it. I found a tiny hole in the chassis at the top of the tailgate just below the gutter. Obviously there is a high volume of water coming from the gutter and this may be what is causing the leak. The hole is so small I'd missed it several times but water is pervasive so hopefully this is what's been causing it. I put silicon on in and am waiting for the next shower..

Sounds familiar.......

I just discovered this morning that I've got a small leak coming in through my barn doors. I removed the rear plastic step strip as I bought a full length one the other week. When I lifted out the polystyrene packing pad the carpet was wet underneath. I put it down to the weather as we have had a lot of wind driven rain up here over the last few weeks and the van lies in the driveway with its a--se parked out in the elements. There is no evidence of damp anywhere else so I'm convinced that it just being driven past the seals by the gale force winds.

Hope you find the cause.............

Cheers,

J

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nope - still leaking! Anyone any other ideas?

I'm thinking of putting silica inside the door rubber and if that doesn't work I'll just have to buy a new rubber.
Hi have you checked your high level brake light ?
The lens came apart on mine and water leaked past the red gasket around lens

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I have checked those too.

Still have a leak - it's coming through the carpet on the rear pillar, quite high up but not at ceiling level. Always that one spot. I'm going to have to peel the carpet back and see whats going on under there.

Also check the button screws on the roof gutters....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Common fault, if you have carpeted or had your van carpeted, 99 times out of a 100 it will be where some of the carpet has been folded around the outside before the rubber trim has been put on, people do this to stop the carpet from pushing off when putting the trim back on, pull the rubber trim off, look around to see if there is any carpet folded over the edge to what would be the outside of the van and slice it off with a sharp Stanley knife, that should solve the problem.
The carpet soaks up water like a sponge. T:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, this was one of the first things I did though. I pared the carpet right back so it doesnt interfere with the rubber. The leak is actually coming through the carpet 10 cm away from the rubber and the area in between is not wet.

Common fault, if you have carpeted or had your van carpeted, 99 times out of a 100 it will be where some of the carpet has been folded around the outside before the rubber trim has been put on, people do this to stop the carpet from pushing off when putting the trim back on, pull the rubber trim off, look around to see if there is any carpet folded over the edge to what would be the outside of the van and slice it off with a sharp Stanley knife, that should solve the problem.
The carpet soaks up water like a sponge. T:

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a small leak also on the left side of mine. Its coming in from the top corner. I have only recently fitted a tailgate so Im thinking its due to the rubber being a slightly different shape from its previous life with the doors. Mine is definitely coming in past the rubber/door rather than soaking in through the carpet.

Anyone know how much the door seal is??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts