VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I closed the tailgate the other day and when I went back to open it, it wouldn't! Some resistance on the handle, I tried it from the inside behind the rear seat.... note I said behind the rear seat. (You can see where this is going) anyway no joy so back to the rear and try again, this time pop and handle is loose but tailgate stuck shut!!

Now, Mr Hoovie had this a few years back on his T5, he has kindly sent me a photo of what to expect once I remove the door card, from behind the SEAT!

What a sod of a job this is going to be from inside trying to work behind the REAR SEAT!

And breath.

Any tips lads?

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need a favour Lads, can someone pop their tailgate and take. Photo of the latch underneath please?

I have the door card off and found the broken connection right at the very bottom, this is connects to the latch.

I can move the lever on the latch but it's not opening. I think it's goosed.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so I can push up the bottom leaver, now this should release the tailgate but doesn't.

I'm wonder what the wires are plugging in downward 2 white one brown?

Anyone?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the part that was off when I got to it, it should have a plastic cover but must have popped when I used the Jack a against the resistance.

I can lift this with my finger but still won't release.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It is a long time since I had one apart but generally on a lock the smaller lever on a lock would be the 'locked/not locked/double locked' lever. The larger lever is linked to the handle release. So if the smaller lever allows it, the bigger lever can pull. If you have both disconnected the release lever should work. It takes a little more force than you might think when the tailgate is fully closed so be prepared to use a screwdriver as a lever and/or get someone to push against the outside handle to take the pressure off but it should go unless the lock is truly knackered. If it is, then you have to unbolt either the lock or the striker plate (whichever is easiest). My money is on manually operating the lock with some effort. :)

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for that.

To clarify, do I need to lever the smaller lever?

I can get a screwdriver on the larger one and push it up.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No, the smaller lever should just move by hand.

No huge leverage should be needed on the larger lever either, it's just that it is slightly more than you can do comfortably by hand because the tailgate is squashed against its seal and you are having to overcome that small extra pressure in order to release the catch.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You and me both BT, oh and the Mrs because I don't shut up about it apparently.

What else is there to talk about on a Saturday night.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
:ROFLMAO: .. .. there's only garbage on telly on a saturday night anyway so you'd have thought she'd have been glad of the scintillating conversation :unsure:.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,098 Posts
If the rods and stuff aren't releasing the lock, any chance of getting a big flat-blade screwdriver onto the catch at the bottom and pushing the latch lock to try and clear the striker? (I think they are the right terms? I know what I am trying to visualise :) )
There must be a way to sort this from the access you have as otherwise been talking about cutting chunks out the van! Maybe a trip to the VW van centre down by Straton might be worth it? could be one of those "instant fixes" for them as they will have had this before.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
If you have no luck I will take the door card off mine later on today and make sure of exactly what opens it and post some pics too.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,098 Posts
Attached a couple of scanned pages from the Haynes Manual for the tailgate which might help?

(I found the Haynes Manual definately worth buying, BTW, as while lots of the stuff in it maybe common sense to many, it is full of the 'gotchas' which people may not be familiar with for a specific vehicle. And something to read while you can't go anywhere in your van :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Got a pic of the lock on mine.

The left hand rod is the interior handle release.

The right hand (top) rod is the interior locking button. (it will single lock the van if you push it)

The right hand (lower) short rod is the exterior handle release. The position of this is crucial on your lock. In the pic, mine is at the bottom of the short slot. This is double locked. If yours is in this position no amount of pulling handles or manually pulling rods will unlock it or take it off its double locked position.

There is one trick you could try whether it works depends on what has happened to the lock. Try this- Close all the doors and lock the van with the remote as normal but press it twice to lock it rather than once. This would normally have the effect of leaving the doors only single locked so if your tailgate lock will still obey this command you can then pull the left hand rod upwards (twice) which should open the door.

Single locking is used so that cannot be locked in the van because two pulls of any handle (interior or exterior) will open the door. Double locking means that a door cannot be opened by simply breaking glass and pulling the handle.

Try the trick first. If that doesn't work check if the lower right rod is at the bottom of the slot. If it is the tailgate is double locked. I would be prepared to spend half an hour trying locking and unlocking with the remote (and try the double press too). If the small lower rod jumps up to the top in its slot you are in business! The alternative is to start breaking the lock apart which is difficult and expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help folks.

Wee update, I have access to the latch on the striker pin. It is solid, the lever that operates it is free so it has failed inside the unit.

You don't want to know what's comming next.

I'll be back just having a brew...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts