VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going on a euro adventure to greece on saturday and was wondering if anybody sneeks there campingas bottles over on the ferry or euro tunnel with them as it strictlly says no gas when you book but a couple of camping stores that use the ferrys a lot told me to just take it as they never check, alternatively could i take one of the single burners with me and get the cartridges over in france/italy..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi

I've been to France many times, with both the camping gaz 907 bottles and also propane bottles, and have never had an issue.

This has been in with campers and also just having the gas bottles in the boot of a car.

I've also been searched bycustoms - who are probably only looking for contraband and not rule breakers anyway - and they have never said a thing.

From personal experience I wouldn't worry.

Also, be aware that the gas you use in the UK can't always be found abroad. You can buy the 907 bottles from some large supermarkets but you won't be able to buy propane. My approach has always been to make sure the gas bottles I take are full, and if I had room, take a spare full one too !!

Frank

·
Registered
342 Posts
I may be wrong on this but......

I thought that you were allowed to take gas on ferries but not through the tunnel.:)

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
always taken mine threw the ferry, even when we had caravan, never been checked or even asked if we had gass.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Not sure about the tunnel, but gas is fine on the ferries.

Just needs to be disconnected at the regulator.

My mate is from Dover and one of his Jobs when he left school was on the ferry port, he walked along the lines of caravans and campers, putting his hand next to the fridge vents making sure they were off. Brilliant Job :D

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
From the Eurotunnel website: LPG powered vehicles NOT allowed.
Allowed Gas Quantities

Maximum allowed quantity Maximum filling rate
Kg L % L
1 " mobile" container 47 +/- 93 - -
Several "mobile" containers 50 +/- 99 - -
1 "fixed" container 47 +/- 93 80 +/- 73
Several "fixed" containers 50 +/- 99 80 +/- 79

Transport of gas containers to power domestic services* for caravans, campervans, vehicles fitted out as a campervan are restricted as outline below:

- If your vehicle is fitted with a “mobile” gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 liters) for a single container and is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 liters) in the case of several containers.

- If your vehicle is fitted with a “fixed” gas container the quantity of gas is limited to 47kg (or approximately 93 liters) for a single container and the maximum filling rate is 80% (or approximately 73 liters).
In the case of several fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg (or approximately 99 liters) on the whole with a maximum filling rate of 80% per container (or approximately 79 liters).

- If your vehicle is fitted with a combination of mobile and fixed containers the quantity of gas is limited to 50kg and rules previously described applies.

Nota: Containers must be easy of access by our staff for any check.

This filling rate will be checked via the manometer. If no manometer is present, the vehicle will be refused.

When travelling gas containers must be switched off and connection systems must be in good condition.

Opening container tap or using domestic services are strictly forbidden until the unloading on the opposite terminal.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys, looks like i will be taking gas after all then:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
no probs taking gas on tunnel or ferry. The hardest bit might be getting a replacement when it runs out.

Where are you going to in Greece?, we went last year loved it. Very hot , Very jealous.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going to Zante then possibly over to kefalonia if i have enough time:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts