VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taking my T4 with my kids to the Pyrenees next week. Any advice on good campsites? I want to go near the Col du Tourmalet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We have just got back, u r in for a good time. I did the tourmalet as well long climb. 26degrees temp at bottom, 3 degrees at top!

There are loads of small campsites in that area that are not on any maps. It is just a case of choosing your area and then the campsite closest to it. Some have pools as well which will be a bonus. Careful though, as the French go on holiday in August and everything will get very busy and cost more.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that advice - I cant wait to go.. I know its the French Holidays but its the only time I can go.. Not travelling at the weekend though so hopefully should be OK traffic wise..

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Ok, my ideal campsites are very simple and tent-friendly. Here are a few, not really near the Tourmalet, but still...

On the way down, in the Ariège:
Camping Municipal Le Pouech, Massat. Municipal campsite all mod cons. Short walk into the (nice) village.

Further into the mountains:
Camping à la ferme Le Bouriet, take direction Angouls when in the village of Couflans. Basic amenities, off the beaten track. Home-made meals available in the evening.

In the Pyrenées Atlantiques:
Lovely one in Larrau.
Basic campsite in the Iraty forest here: 43.037385, -1.049830 (on the D19 west of Larrau).

At the other end of the Pyrenees in Saint Pierre des Forçats, there's a rural campsite on the D32 as you go up to the ski resort. Nice people. Chickens and stuff running around...

All these places are good bases from which to go walking.

Have a good one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts