VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy /hard is this? Talked to various people and get opposing answers ,most say I wouldn't be able to do it myself without cracking it .

Just need to clean the rust up and refit but dont want to fork out for a new screen if I break it.

Cheers ,Spud.*<:)>

·
Registered
416 Posts
I buddy i am an ex windscreen fitted 18 years in the trade the windscreen is bonded in and has a trim around the edge If its a T4.
If its a T5 there is a rubber flap bonded to the glass. The chances of geting it out is very slim without it cracking . the bad news is you will have to pay for a new one ! No way round it .. The best thing i can say is dont go to the big boys auto glass or national.
Pick a small boy who has low over heads and can take it out one day, letting you fix the body and then call back to fit it at a later date. Depending where you live i do know some one who would do it for about £200 for a T4 and £250 for a T5 let me know and hope this helped

Ian Nottingham
A:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ,thats more or less what my mechanic mates say, looks like i,m gonna have to bite the bullet , thanks for the advice ,have to save me pennies for a bit .

Wont be till spring/summer so i,ll have time to shop around.

Cheers ,Spud.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Cost me £100 to have the front and rear screen lifted out and re fitted after spraying my old van..

Shop around T:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sound cheap! Was he confident of getting it out whole or did you have to be ready to buy a new one?

·
Registered
416 Posts
yes i agree that was cheep the ods of geting it out in one bit is very slim, the ods are against it breaking . can you buy me a lottery ticket you are a lucky person lol

A:

you need to be ready to buy a screen when you have it done though T:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Had some work done around my screen and my bodyshop got a guy in to remove and re-install my screen for £60.
Didn't crack.
Bodyshop use him a lot and said he prides himself on how good he is that if he breaks the screen- it's his fault and he replaces it. Simples, x

·
Registered
191 Posts
I took mine out myself with some stainless wire - no problems and didn't crack. I had it rebonded after I'd sorted the rust for a few days for £35, this was with a new trim too. They even came out to fit it at this price! (Local small company)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i paid 135 for a tinted screen with a blue top tint.I carefully cleaned all the rust with the screen in using a small grit blaster and resprayed the van then broke the screen putting the bonnet back on.DOH

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah ,I,m tempted to try ,read about and asked a few people about doing this and opinion is quite fairly divided , a mechanic mate of mine has never had any luck doing it and says that even if I got it out I wouldn't be able to bond it back in again properly.

Lads on here do say they have done it though so there you go .

Thing is if I try it and bust it ive then got to go shamefaced to a proper fitter ,and I dont like putting other peoples bodges right so I dont think they would.

Think i will rip the rubber out bodge/seal it till summer then find a decent guy to sort it.

Actually got a little lake in the van today ,youve got to love these vans....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Will the rubber just lift out and can it be refitted then as i have a little dribble coming in just in the top corner.
Last place did mine got a guy in, had the rust done and leaking again now!

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
There is no reason you cannot refit your screen theres companys called 3rd party windscreens down this way that will fit a 2nd hand screen cant see why anyone would want to tell you any different its all down to the fitter *<:)>

·
Registered
689 Posts
removed mines with cheese wire also it was a doddle, rebonded it with the masterbond kit on ebay.
You would need to be amazingly clumsy to break it with cheese wire, perhaps all these people drop them after removing them else i cant see how they crack them.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not calling your tech skills , maybe the guys I ask just dont want the job :) It sounds easy enough to me ,when re-fitting would I have to have a big ratchet strap across it to pull it into the bond?

Also my screen seems to have de/laminated in one bottom corner its white about an inch up and three inches wide, can I ignore this as just being cosmetic or is it scrap ?

Cheers ,Spud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts