VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A long shot I know (very long) but has anyone ever made a raised air intake for a t4 or have pictures of one.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I saw one somewhere the other day. It stuck out the side about an inch, probably be good as it would duct the air in better (ram air)T:
I'll see if i can find it and put up a link

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Yes seen some pictures on the forum somewhere.. Few people have done different designs..

Have a trawl with the search button fella T:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I was only thinking about something like this the other day. Interesting.

·
Registered
879 Posts
A long shot I know (very long) but has anyone ever made a raised air intake for a t4 or have pictures of one.
i made a ram air intake fro my tr6 a while back, i got a £1.oo funnel from the local flea market, also got some ali light tubing from a plumbing flue suppliers, and simply cut off the bottom on the funnel copper wired the tubing to it and run it to the split air intake, simple really and cost just ten squid all in, i did have a snorkel on my td5 landrover, that wasnt as cheapI:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've just come back from morocco and after a month driving pistes etc I had to clean the air filter and housing out every other day, the thing was full of sand/dust etc.
The problem is the air intake is so close to the wheel it just gets sucks everything in that gets thrown up.
The idea is to reduce the amount of dust that gets dragged into the filter.
Yeah I mean a "snorkel" but thought that would just confuse a lot of people.
Off roading I suppose so, a seikel lift and 215/75/15 and it goes pretty much where I want it too. Obviously its not a landrover but it gets most most places.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I've just come back from morocco and after a month driving pistes etc I had to clean the air filter and housing out every other day, the thing was full of sand/dust etc.
The problem is the air intake is so close to the wheel it just gets sucks everything in that gets thrown up.
The idea is to reduce the amount of dust that gets dragged into the filter.
Yeah I mean a "snorkel" but thought that would just confuse a lot of people.
Off roading I suppose so, a seikel lift and 215/75/15 and it goes pretty much where I want it too. Obviously its not a landrover but it gets most most places.
This does make sense. I've been over there and totally understand what your saying. Ok it's not as full of dust over here but the rain and from the road will do just as much damage.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
ive just been looking in to all the options for my syncro as i have just been too portugal on all the tracks there its real dusty!
plus having a raised intake would help all t4,s even if i fitted an extension that ment the air was sucked from inseide the engine bay or through the top bonnet air vent!
raised intake's help as they get more air in, plus the air is cleaner, dry'er and colder that means it has more oxygen, allthis would create a better situation for the engine's fuel air mix!
i have seen some parts available on ebay so you can make your own, it's the seal and joining to the existing system that's difficult. plus if you intend to wade the whole airbox will have to be sealed along with other components!

·
Registered
113 Posts
having been considering the snorkel idea for my T4 syncro too. Here's a link to a thread on a Spanish T4 site (use Google translator!!!) - a good few examples of what others have already done.
http://www.furgovw.org/index.php?topic=203369.0

Some wicked pics on there the German T4 forum of a guy with his modified T4 syncro off roading in Iceland (not the discount frozen food place).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Snorkels are over rated as dust suppressors. I've had a couple of Land Rovers in the past with them fitted and they still sucked in plenty of good old Australian dust.

Touring the T4 around Oz twice now (plus commuting 50km one way on an unsealed road for 18 months) has given me a bit of time to think on the need for a snorkel.

If you only need the capacity occasionally then an easy option is to use a foam panel filter over the air intake. Get a filter manufacturer (I use http://www.uniflow.com.au/ ) to make up a rectangular wire box and an elastic filter foam cover. All you have to do is make up a screw down hook setup to be able to attach it over the intake. Job's done. All you have to do each day is remove it, bash the dust out and re-fit. Easy.

I use the same setup (without the oil) on the cabin filter - the OE poleen filter was too exey downunder so I sent them a dead one and they sent me back a foam one. AU$30.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
some good ideas there
how do you find the serious off roading pic's?
look's like they are well in to there syncro's must be a lot lot more of them over there!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone considered doing an "internal" first part of the snorkel in a way using these ideas but backwards so to speak :)

Seems to be room there...

Found here:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40882
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61674

Rather than these solutions:

and even this Seikel (my "idol T4" for many years :))

... that requires butchering your van and well yeah not so attractive either (not that my "offroad-look-99" is "attractive" :) I say look cuz no Syncros in the US! :( ) my 99 (that just happened to be the same color as the Seikel one! ;))

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Well this thread is nearly a year old but the search buttons great;)I: here's what I'm hoping to do....

Got another bend which I'm going to cut and clip to air intake vent and then spray paint same colour as van, so anybody else done one? Do you think it will aid performance?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts