VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, I've got a 2001 Transporter 2.5 Petrol LWB with 150k on the clock that I'm converting to a camper/MPV that will be my everyday car but with the option to sleep in it (will post some pics soon) :)

Since I bought it it has a noise on the engine that sounded like the tappets so changed them along with a belt and tensioner kit and waterpump. For anybody who's interested the tappets were identical to the PD diesel ones and bought them for £3.50 each (bargain!) from a company who advertise on ebay called AW Engineering and luckily they were only a few miles away. Anyway the noise was still there and then I convinced myself that it was the big ends so changed the shells as well but still no joy, the noise is still there!!

Its one of those noises that is hard to pin down where its coming from, someone suggested it could be the vibration damper and from reading on this forum I'm thinking it could be the exhaust manifold leaking. Starting to wish I'd bought a diesel as you guys seem to know all the faults with the diesels but theres not too much on petrol faults, has anyone any experience of this or any suggestions? The engine code is AET.

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
There's not too much on petrol faults 'coz they don't go faulty much,T:.
I'd look at the small square thing to the right on top of the inlet manifold and disconnect the vacuum pipe with the right angle elbow on it, I bet your knocking tappety noise stops! It comes from the egr valve (big circle thing on the bottom rh corner of the manifold).There is always a tappety noise any way but mine's been doing it fot 46k now and not got any worse. They're a sweet engine and mines got 206k on it and it runs sweet as a nut. (Just wish it didn't drink like George Best :()
Hope this helps.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Cant beat the petrol engines, much like marco mines done 215.000 and still quiet and strong, love it!!
As for your noise mate i cant havent experienced it myself, mine doesnt tap one bit. Does it get worse when the engine's warm?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
petrol every time, 2ltr, 72,000 and 14 years old, so reliable, does not make a tapping noise, so sorry can not help, must be other members on here that can?.I:

·
Registered
6 Posts
hiya not sure if there t same but i got a 2.5 diesel, i got a tapping noise. Try pumping t brake pedal a couple of times then keep it pressed, if it stops then its your brake servo pump and push rod. servo pumps a good £200 tho, so i took a chance and changed just t push rod £30. Works a treat,let me know good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

Thanks for your replies I'm away at the moment and haven't got the van with me but thanks marco, can't wait to get back now to try that! Its def not the vac pump cos it hasn't got one being a petrol, they're only on the diesels. I heard a transporter go past the other day a petrol one and it had the exact same tappety noise on it! In reply to kieran the noise stays the same warm or cold, I've changed the oil twice flushed it and put some top end treatment additive but none of it has made any difference. I put 10 40s semi synthetic in which is what it specified in the book.

I'm open to more suggestions if anybody can think of anything else?

Cheers, Rick

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Is the noise there all the time or when you rev it? I think the egr valve opens when enough vacumm is created from the manifold. I don't have a clue why it would rattle though but my van works fine so I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure it's nothing serious as you've covered all the big problem areas already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you get to the bottom of this ? I've the same in my 92, petrol, I only hear it in the summer when the windows down,lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts