VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can anyone help please
2000 x plateT4 !.9 TD ABL 95,000 miles (oil changed every 5,000 since new)

parked up yesterday evening all ok.
started it this morning and there's a tapping noise.
guessing it sounds like followers cylinder 1 end of engine
removed rocker cover and hand cranked engine to check lift. all followers seem to be lifting as cam rotates
tried pumping brakes to check its not vacuum pump but no change in sound.
also cant see any movement in pulley wheels.

please see video

not sure what my next move is?
any ideas please
many thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorted. just for info.
convinced it was sticking follower on cylinder 1 caused by oil blockage not allowing hydraulic pressure..decided to flush engine. new oil, filter and hydraulic lift treatment. (wynns)
so, having removed under tray I thought its worth a squirt of wd40 on the pulley wheels. the tapping stopped or became intermittent. continued with oil change. after running engine for a while the tapping stopped completely. no idea how a pulley wheel can produce a metallic tap, maybe a stone? cant see any wobbles on any of them. anyway solved but my cambelt is covered in wd40. not good!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for warning!
yeah I should have said, "solved" meant I know where the noise is coming from. I only sprayed behind the pulley wheel to see if it would change the noise
and identify the source of the tapping.....not fix it. sure it will be back in no time.
Turns out my WD40 is actually GT85 so hope that's not quite as bad? (due for a new cambelt soon)
Either way, I was about to remove camshaft and followers for no reason so... result for me!

Do you know what could cause a pulley wheel to make a tapping sound?

·
Registered
822 Posts
As above, check the wodroof key on the crankshaft and replace bolt with a genuine/INA bolt. I used to drill and fit a dowel to stop this from happening ! Crank pulley is also made out of rubber bonded to metal and it deteriorates altough its more prominent on higher powered road going vehicles...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts