VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, my 56 plate T5 shuttle, 2.5 T30, is registered as a motor caravan. I know this doesn't affect tax. However, its tax class is diesel car TC49, category M1, at a crippling £555 a year.
I've defo seen on a forum somewhere that other owners in a similar position have found that this ONLY applies to shuttles registered in 06-07, with all others before and after that period being in much lower tax classes. Not sure if there's an anomaly in 06-7 that has them as cars instead of vans / PLG / LGV, but I've seen people say that are taxed at £140 (TC36, LGV), £265 (TC39 Euro 4 LGV) and £330 (car, diesel car, with tax based on emissions).
I've also seen such owners claim that, on asking for help from VW Technical Services, they have been able to appeal to DVLA/DVCA to have the tax class changed I've contacted TWTS who say that other than confirming what's on my V5 they can't help.

Anyone on here able to help? Thanks

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,393 Posts
Our 2013 Shuttle is an M1 Diesel car taxed on emissions not as a van which are flat rate whatever they spew out. I know there are some anomalies in the VED rates some years ago but I would have thought yours is probably correct. It must be a 174 auto to be in that band?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,068 Posts
I suspect the only way to get an answer to this will be to contact the DVLA and ask. I know that in around 2008 it was possible to request a re-classification from Diesel Car to PLG for vehicles first registered in '03 - '07, but at that time I believe it depended on whether the van had been converted to a camper or not (and therefore had a purpose not entirely related to carrying passengers). Certainly the letter that I received suggested that having an NCC certificate for your conversion would help.

It's also possible that there was a deadline for such a change, though the correspondence that I have doesn't mention one. The DVLA will obviously know, one way or the other.

Note also that you don't get any refund for past years, though you may get a part-refund for the current year if they agree to reclassify.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I suspect the only way to get an answer to this will be to contact the DVLA and ask. I know that in around 2008 it was possible to request a re-classification from Diesel Car to PLG for vehicles first registered in '03 - '07, but at that time I believe it depended on whether the van had been converted to a camper or not (and therefore had a purpose not entirely related to carrying passengers). Certainly the letter that I received suggested that having an NCC certificate for your conversion would help.

It's also possible that there was a deadline for such a change, though the correspondence that I have doesn't mention one. The DVLA will obviously know, one way or the other.

Note also that you don't get any refund for past years, though you may get a part-refund for the current year if they agree to reclassify.
This is handy. I'll enquire and post in here with how I get on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
well, im a winner, 580 this year FFS! 3.2 petrol :sick:
conversion to LPG, made my car about 90% cleaner than diesels, and about 70% compared to petrol, this gave me whooping 10 quid discount- could not be foked to register for that..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
well, im a winner, 580 this year FFS! 3.2 petrol :sick:
conversion to LPG, made my car about 90% cleaner than diesels, and about 70% compared to petrol, this gave me whooping 10 quid discount- could not be foked to register for that..
What LPG system do you have and what MPG? I have the same motor (albeit 2005) and wonder what costs/gains might be.
p.s. sorry about your tax bill - that’s horrendous :oops:

·
Registered
320 Posts
What LPG system do you have and what MPG? I have the same motor (albeit 2005) and wonder what costs/gains might be.
p.s. sorry about your tax bill - that’s horrendous :oops:
it is a BRC system. underslung tank instead of spare, and added another underslung joined them and that gives me 95l where 75l is usable which is good on motorway easy cruise for 300 miles. was roughly 2k to install, and to be honest, it paid for itself within first year (for me). running propex night heater from same tanks.
its fully automatic system, i can manually override to run on petrol. it always starts on petrol, once at correct temp, it switches automatically to lpg.
shame UK has got less and less LPG stations , as through out europe they everywhere.

performance vise, cant see much of a difference, , you loose maybe 5hp, but with that brick you cant notice it anyways.

just out of curiosity, same motor, 05 plate, whats the roadtax on them?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Our 2013 Shuttle is an M1 Diesel car taxed on emissions not as a van which are flat rate whatever they spew out. I know there are some anomalies in the VED rates some years ago but I would have thought yours is probably correct. It must be a 174 auto to be in that band?
No its a T30 manual.
Before this I had a 2.5 174 auto Caravelle on 07 plate and tax class was the same as this one, which adds credence to the argument that it's a problem with classification in 2006-2007

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
it is a BRC system. underslung tank instead of spare, and added another underslung joined them and that gives me 95l where 75l is usable which is good on motorway easy cruise for 300 miles. was roughly 2k to install, and to be honest, it paid for itself within first year (for me). running propex night heater from same tanks.
its fully automatic system, i can manually override to run on petrol. it always starts on petrol, once at correct temp, it switches automatically to lpg.
shame UK has got less and less LPG stations , as through out europe they everywhere.

performance vise, cant see much of a difference, , you loose maybe 5hp, but with that brick you cant notice it anyways.

just out of curiosity, same motor, 05 plate, whats the roadtax on them?
Thanks for the information - very helpful. I will run the number and see if it is viable with my lower mileage.

On the road tax side, my last tax was March this year and was £325. Mine is a Caravelle, so taxed as a car. I think the change over to the higher rate for cars happened on 23rd March 2006.

·
Registered
320 Posts
On the road tax side, my last tax was March this year and was £325. Mine is a Caravelle, so taxed as a car. I think the change over to the higher rate for cars happened on 23rd March 2006.
mine is velle exec 09, still cant understand nearly 600 quid tax :oops:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts