VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have 240kms on the clock and its starting to whiff (runs clear, but its done well) remapped to 148bhp with the usual larger injectors and EGR blank etc 8 - 9 years ago.

Just put in a new clutch, Its due for a timing belt change, which may well sort out the smell. but I am planning a long trip next summer and want it to be A1.

So It got me thinking - Swap out the engine for a rebuilt block approx £1500 + labour

Or... go for something that uses Petrol (potential for LPG conversion) from say a Mk4 4 Donar Vr6 4 Motion (204bhp) and refresh that engine and drop it in. (1.8GTI's are a bit revvy and also difficult to find a good version, I also think it will be weak for such a heavy van hence the V6 angle.. So I hear the 1.8 is a drop in but thats not going to cut it torque wise for me.

Has this VR6 manual been done ?

I know there are Auto VR6's in carav's - I have a Long nose westy, LHD so it will fit. And yes it may be easier to find a donor van (hens teeth) and swap the interior / camp equipment or swap the engine... Either way the question is relating to swapping out a Manual TDI - 102 remapped to 148 to a VR6 204 Manual x reg "ish" 2.8l 4 Motion donor car. Has it been done this has anyone got any advise / pointers ?

I really want to reuse the Gearbox and clutch (as much as possible), I assume a new bell housing and take across the wiring looms etc anything else ? Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Bertros

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this thread: https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=111057

That suggests: The 02G DYA transmission that should work with the VR6.

Is

02G300045CX

But for Bell housing its: this comment;- Diesel MT with bell housing 02G 301 107 will make it bolt up to VR6 block??

Again anyone with scars willing to help out much appreciated I am still digging around old threads, (which is really reliable information its just not always correct ;)).

Bertros

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,884 Posts
You'd be crazy to go for a petrol! (even with LPG).

If your (long) trip is really the same size as mine are, that £1500 would go in petrol! (Used to spend around £2500 in diesel every year on a trip to UK and back)

Also, remember, that even the V6 engines have less torque than the 2.5TDi 102.

With a van, especially with weight, torque is 10x more important than bhp.

Don't forget, you'll also need new looms and ECU (possibly dashboard/instruments) to get it working.
Also, not sure if the diesel and petrol tanks (plastic/piping/sensors/etc) are the same.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh hear we go :) exactly what I did not want to go.. Justification for a choice. O.K will address my thinking as a mad man so we can move on and focus on the question..

So doing the maths.. Approx 3000 Miles round trip about 20 mpg at approx (150 gallons) * (1.5 euro a ltr :) x 6) you get my drift its not that crazy for a trip lasting 6 weeks for a family of 4... But thats not what I was asking :) My TDI is cooked.. its a tractor even if I reckon'd it .. Its also the devils spawn with regards emissions... etc plenty of good reasons to get shut of a crappy old Diesel.. Environment, Comfort and noise being one of them :)

ECU wiring loom, good call, binnacles etc. I would take that across from the donor and make a new ones where needed. I see there are some good Passat examples floating around as well. (manual).

They have the 30v V6 engine.. any thoughts on that one ?

Re Toruque.. Yes base tune 102 TDI is around the same as the VR6 (after a bit of TLC and a few simple stage one modes you're about 250 for both of them). Go crazy if you want with a Vr6 plenty of tuning options out there ! 4-500bhp and 350+ lb is common place, But thats not the plan.

So again good justification for a good smooth running engine to ease things on a long drive... and lets be honest.. the 2.5TDI as much fun as it is and easy to work with, its a tractor with regards refinement and if your going to replace it, it seems a bit daft to replace it with the same given 5-10 years from now, that class of diesel will most likely not be able to drive on the roads in some counties.

So back on track :)

Looking around VR6 vans are still bringing good coin... 6k is the best I have found they all seem to be converted campers as well (auto) and well a bit . The caravelles are bringing in crazy money, fair play lovely vehicle !.

There are a few S class damaged Golf MK4's cars for around 800 - 1200 with approx 60-80k Miles.

So with will time and similar funds you could have a VR6 or a new recon TDI for about the Same cash.. question is has anyone done it and is there any advise please :) ?

Cheers

·
Registered
742 Posts
I would not even contemplate swapping a petrol engine into a t4 van, it will be waay to heavy on fuel... I would rather spend the money on making your t4 going as it should, a simple k14 hybrid turbo, remap and 0.216 nozzles will get you to 150-170 Bhp. With a larger turbo (mercedes Actros wastegated turbo) and bosio race 520 nozzles you're looking at over 250 Bhp. It will require a stronger clutch for sure but thats easier said than done !
Carravelle vr6 have really weak gearboxes...i dont know of any manual box that can fit but i cut and welded belhlousing to bmw 3.0d gearboxes in order to fit v8 petrol engines so its doable with determination and an AC/DC welder...

·
Registered
742 Posts
One will have to ask dvla nicely for a re-classification of the new van once they swap a petrol engine ! By far the easiest petrol swap would be a 2.2 T engine and you can use the 2.5 tdi bottom end to stroke the new inline5 engine for silly torque. Add a holset turbo and larger inectors and youre on the right track for silly bhp... I have tuned s2/s4/s6 with them engines and its a bullet proof engine to start with...add a few mods and sky's the limit or 1500 Bhp before crank twists off...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts